xhaust question!

sik350

wuts bio-diesel?
Reaction score
i wanted to ask you guy about my cat..I just installed the grand rock no muffler stacks and wanted to ask you gusy if i should remove the cat. I have the afe stage 2 instake and was wondering about the back pressure for the turbo. Last time i put the 4" mbrp turbo back exhaut and aem brute intake in to my 2004 6.0 i blew 4 turbos. Luckily i had warranty and a great dealership. please help

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go on, dump the cat, mines gone and turbo issues, as far as backpressure goes, the turbo gives it all it needs.

sik350

wuts bio-diesel?
Reaction score
go on, dump the cat, mines gone and turbo issues, as far as backpressure goes, the turbo gives it all it needs.
I woulnt worry if I didn't have the intake but since I do I wanted to make sure. Dosent the turbo need a certain amount of backpressure from the exhaust to spool properly?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my 7.3 with a 4" straight pipe exhaust and cold air intake for over 75,000 miles with no turbo problems at all. I still am running the factory turbo but have changed my exhaust to 4 inch duals with a muffler. The straight pipe exhaust (stacks) should not harm the turbo in anyway.

If you are concerned could you not get the baffles/mufflers that go inside the stacks?

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has the afe filter(stock housing) and the exhaust is turbo back with no cat, love the way is sounds at idle, uner load, and no midrange drone on the highway. i don't think you will go wrong without the cat unless you have to do emissions testing:sweet

sik350

wuts bio-diesel?
Reaction score
mine has the afe filter(stock housing) and the exhaust is turbo back with no cat, love the way is sounds at idle, uner load, and no midrange drone on the highway. i don't think you will go wrong without the cat unless you have to do emissions testing:sweet

but u have the stock air filter and not the afe stage 2 which i have

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
A turbo creates it's own backpressure.

Pressure after the turbo should be around 2-3pis ideally according to garrett.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine running your truck with out the cat. The turbo will be fine and build enough pressure that you will not have any problems. I have done the ZooDad mood on my truck and stacks with no mufflers or cat. I have not had one problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58