Xmas Lights on PSD

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
my little girl is in the brownies (semi-pro girl scouts)

their group is gonna be in our city xmas parade next thursday.

i am gonna haul them in the bed of my truck. i wanna rig up some xmas lights to go around the outline of the truck. lowe's has some nice LED xmas lights that i can run off of my inverter. i have a coleman cup holder inverter that can handle upto 200 watts, or i have a coleman 800 watt powermate.

i know the 800 can handle more, put you have to hook it upto the battery, the 200 sits in your cup holder and plugs right into the powerpoint spot.

im guessin the lights will be around 100ft or so, and being LED's they wont draw as much power.

do ya think the 200 would be enuff?

any ideas?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Try it and see,

or

Read the label on the lights and see how much they draw.

:D

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Add up the WATTS of all of the lights and see if it is less than 200 watts (for use with the cupholder inverter) or less than 800 watts (for use with the powermate). Don't go over the recommended wattage or you will have an electrical fire.

Dave

dpantazis

Reaction score
don't forget the wreath on the grill :) or maybe a pair of antlers on the hood is more your style?

i think i might try mini's on 12V directly. if you had DMM you could check the amperage and see how much amperage they draw. if the string draws 120 watts=1 amp at 120V, then at 12V, it would draw 1200 watts or 10amps. #18 should do ok with that at 12V.

i did a calc once on the wattage for a st00pid building permit iirc ~250 mini lights are about 1 amp ( 120 watts) and the glass bulbs were around 8 amps for 25 of them. mini lights are the ampule one. the glass bulbs were the small screw in kinds.

like DB said. read the box to be sure.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The wife wants a lit wreath for her truck similar to what I put on the Internationals back in the day,we'll be out looking for a nice one Saturday morning:sweet

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
The wife wants a lit wreath for her truck similar to what I put on the Internationals back in the day,we'll be out looking for a nice one Saturday morning:sweet

remember, dont block the air flow to the zoodad bill :thumbs :D :roflmao

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hey we got 1200 watts of ac power ... stepehen you may be on to something
let me think
maybe we coud have a LIGHT off :eek: :sly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member