Yes, anothe newbie question...

Inkyturbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, another newbie question...

My name is Josh, and I am the proud new owner of a 1996 Ford F350 XLT Reg. Cab PSD with the 5 speed manual transmission. Around 157.5 k miles but maintained in very good condition. I have a question- in fifth on the highway around 60-65 at around 2k rpm the engine sounds like it is running at a really high rpm. But after continuing for a few minutes the roaring sound winds down and it continues at what I think is normal, and it does not return unless I slow down and come back to that speed. Is that normal?

Last edited:

ryanPSD

Living in Kallynogunforya
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice truck, and welcome! Is it a 4x4? That is my dream truck right there!!

Might be the fan clutch engaged??

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Inkyturbo said:
My name is Josh, and I am the proud new owner of a 1996 Ford F350 XLT Reg. Cab PSD with the 5 speed manual transmission. Around 157.5 k miles but maintained in very good condition. I have a question- in fifth on the highway around 60-65 at around 2k rpm the engine sounds like it is running at a really high rpm. But after continuing for a few minutes the roaring sound winds down and it continues at what I think is normal, and it does not return unless I slow down and come back to that speed. Is that normal?

stab in the dark with a dull "chicken" knife....
sounds like the fan clutch engaging, how hot was it outside? a/c on or off?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would bet that you are hearing the Fan clutch engaging. The diesel motors have a BIG fan to move a lot of air. Watch your temp gauge to see of it drops a little when it comes on.

Dave

Inkyturbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That might be it. It seems like it comes on at low engine rpms when you can't really hear it and stays until running at high rpms for a little while. I haven't seen the temp gauge go past maybe one fifth of the normal range, even in yesterday's 100 degree heat.

The truck is a dually, 2WD. I'll get some pictures for you guys later on when I get some time. Thanks for the help!

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
It's normal. I hear the same thing periodically and it is the fan. You will find a lot of things you can do to your truck here. My list just grows even when I knock one off...

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard the board! Dollars to those round things with holes in them that it is you fan! Careful you don't suck in a little Fiat when it engages. :wow

Inkyturbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm sure it is the fan now, because this morning when I drove it it did not come on at all until later. Thanks again!

EDIT: Here are some pics!

Notice the rear bumper. Have you guys seen anything like it? Salesman says it was a custom job. Also it has a brake controller. Two of the clearance light lenses are missing, but I already have new ones on order from one of the shops advertised on this site. The windshield will be replaced by the dealer. It's got a few paint chips and dings, but what do you expect?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58