Yet Another XOC Question: Can steering be improved?

XOC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know it's not a race car, and I do not expect it to feel or drive or respond like one, but the steering on my truck is so loosy-goosy that I am constantly correcting and countercorrecting when I am driving at highway speeds. Are there any inexpensive mods I can do to make the steering more precise, take out most of the "slop", and tone down the power assist just a little bit?

While I'm at it -- anything I can do to make the 1-ton suspension a little less skull-jarring over big defects in the road surface, without weakening its capabilities for towing and hauling heavy loads?

(Man, I know I am asking for a lot, but hopefully there is no harm in wondering if it's possible.)

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
upgrade the balljoints in the steering links, and adjust the worm gear adjustment in the steering box. then buy a buick.

no i kid, try airbag suspension upgrads for a smother ride.:sweet

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the shaft going from the steering box to the steering colum helped the wandering a lot .

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
check all of the steering/suspension joints in the front, but dont forget the rear axle as well. if those spring eye bushings are loose in the rear (as mine are) it will throw the truck all over, as well as make for a more "springy" ride. i also had a wandering issue when my panhard rod bushings wore out. it allowed the axle to move about 1-2 inches left to right under the truck.
also, for smoothing out that back breaking ride, i put a set of bilstein shocks on and it helped a lot!:sweet

XOC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sweet - lots of great suggestions in here. Hmm, I wonder if anyone makes an adjustable shock heavy duty enough for 1-ton usage. Guess there's another thing I will be researching.

Thanks guys! :thanks

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bluebird
you might wanna look into getting a reverse shackle kit RSK

What r these? my f-250 rides like s#!T(real rough) with my front add-a-leafs I put on to level the truck. I've been thinkn bout taking em out to keep the rest of my teeth, :eek: but I like it level! Where can I find these?

XOC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58