You think the Big 3 will pay attention?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ Morro Bay, Ca

Think they're paying attention ? You Betcha.. I'd Betcha "they".. are behind the release/US sales delays.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thats the prob with this country, we keep havin these imported companies selling their cars in this country which is hurting our american manufacturers. Granted the imports are decent vehicles. And thats more jobs for the U.S. We need to start makin our own small diesel truck or atleast start makin our own diesel cars like europe has been doin for yrs. The VW's get like 50mpg! Got to be some changes around here. An F150 diesel would be sweet!

dpantazis

Reaction score
stroked-

if any domestic manuf'r made a diesel cal, i would buy and drive it. since VW is the only one who gave me that choice, that is why I drive one. not really a choice if you think about it.

anyone else remember the ranger/mazda diesel pickup? or the chevy/izuzu p'up? what about the mitsu mighty-max/dodge d-50 power wagon. if i could have another d-50 power wagon, i would be ALL over it! i can not remember if toyota had a diesel pickup, prolly did.

but what do we know?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you can smooch any more light truck diesels goodbye..
the EPA won't certify them for emissions..
they're too hung up on hybrids

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Austrailia has some sweet diesel trucks and I think toyota does have a diesel. Nissan does too I think. Small diesel trucks are out there and are popular.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the answer is a big resounding NO!!!

when it comes to small ford is going to discontinue production of the ranger, the only compact pickup left on the market dodge, chevy, & toyota have already bumped theirs to midsized pickups. the ranger will continue for the rest of the world just not the NA market and will be a truck 90% the size of the F-150 read more

fuel economy yes we want it and the new F150 v6 is supposed to be getting upper 20's on the new engines.

and I really don't see any light duty diesels hitting the road any time soon, though we want them the general population does not....Having had several rangers & older explorers when they were basically rangers, the drivetrains they put in them would last and had capabilities beyond the chassis (think 1.5 yard sand in bed and 2 yards gravel on trailer with a 2.9L) is the gas mileage stellar when working hard, heck no, but what % of the time is it used for work, for the average user less than 1% I would hazard a guess, so it is not a big factor, I got mid 20's out of the v6, yes it dropped when towing by about 10mpg, but for what I was doing it was just fine.

SouperedUp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
if the American automakers were smarter, they'd realize that with this recession, people are more likely to buy a smaller vehicle so that they can afford to pay their bills- with size comes more $$. They just need to look around at what's driving down the road right now. at least the cruze is smallish though.

dpantazis

Reaction score
its really too bad that ford is dropping the ranger, or at least they say that they are and will consider holding it over if the demand is there.

emissions are meetable, consider VW's Two-Rag with the 3.0L 24Valve V6, at 225hp, 405 ft-lbs of torque. that could easily be stuffed into a Ranger or Explorer platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg