Your Best Guess? (ABS Light & Speedo Problem)

Du510

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So just yesterday, two problems popped up within less than an hour of eachother:

- ABS light comes on about 30 seconds after startup
- The speedo sits at zero, then jumps to above 20. Seems accurate after 20.

What do you guys think is the root cause? Is it just ironic that these popped up at about the same time?

Thanks very much, in advance. :notworthy

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Speed sensor in the rear diff is bad..........

It is a pretty easy fix.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like T sez..Top'a the Dif, 10mm bolt/hold down clamp, unplug the pin plug.. R & R. 20 min. fix. $25/30 dollar part. (depending on Dealer ethics)

Commonly called : VSS, or Vehicle Speed Sensor

Last edited:

cemily

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Would that also be causing the ABS light to come on? I am having an almost identical problem with my truck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that also be causing the ABS light to come on? I am having an almost identical problem with my truck.

Very possible.

The VSS provides data/info that effects a good number of things, like the.. Auto trans, Speedo, Cruise control, ABS and It's "In The Loop", along with many other sensors providing data to the PCM.

It's basically just a Magnet. Over time, miles and use, it gets dirty with metal particles from normal ring & pinion wear. It can also just get Weak.

JMO but for 25/30 dollars and 20 minutes of our time... It's good, cheap part to R&R, if we start to have issues with any of the above.

Last edited:

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this same problem, except for me it occurs only after towing for a couple hundred miles. Believe you me, the first time you see the ABS light come on, and then the speedo go to zero when you're driving down the highway at 70 mph, it gets your attention!

Part number? On-line source so I don't have to go to the dealer?

Thanks,

Al

Du510

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've had this same problem, except for me it occurs only after towing for a couple hundred miles. Believe you me, the first time you see the ABS light come on, and then the speedo go to zero when you're driving down the highway at 70 mph, it gets your attention!

Thanks,

Al

Ill get you the part number tonight.

Du510

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

Al

DY-1123 F85Z-9E731-AB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58