Converted SD Downpipe

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Was working up the road last week and stopped by the salvage yard looking for a F-super duty to snag the rear shackles off of(didn't find one) but while I was looking at some wrecked super duties there was one that had just had the motor pulled and they left the downpipe laying in the cab completely intact and not a bit of dirt/rust or ding in it so I gave them 5 bucks for it and took it home.
Took better part of a day to do but I converted it over to use in my 96 and am glad I did.

Lost about 75 degrees EGT cruising and temp seems to climb a lot slower and drop a lot faster and I know it spools much better and the performance is a sight better with it.

Anyway, I know there are 2 or 3 other guys who have done it and I was wondering if it would be worth one of us doing a writeup on the conversion as it isn't that bad now that I have it done?

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
I was contemplating pulling it back off to take some pics that I wish I would have done while I was doing it and showing the before and after but I was too worried about actually making it fit in the time I had.

I can get pics of it mounted up with some info. Definitely need to start taking pics as I go of all the DIY stuff I have done but didn't worry about it at the time, didn't know who might be as cheap as me!

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Did you have to beat the hell out of your fire wall for it to fit? It is the 4 inch right?

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
The factory 99-03 super duty pipes are 3" but nice and round like the aftermarket ones for an OBS. I was really surprised to find one undamaged and all in piece at the salveage yard seeing as how everything else was gone including the rest of the exhaust.

The turbo flange is a different size and had to cut off both of them and weld the one off the old pipe onto the SD pipe at the proper angle and then make 2 more cuts and fit them together used a band clamp in the middle and just barely had to push on the firewall at the seam a little.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
I see I have heard of guys installed the four inch one in the 97 and older psd's
I think there has to be alot of modifying to the firewall to do this.

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw pics of 2 of them installing 4" and looked like they had to cut a chunk of the firewall out and replace it with a concave piece. Don't think I will ever need the 4", pretty significant change with the round 3.

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most excellent:thumbs job. Some guys have all the luck-how are the Stage II`s coming along?---Joe

highfive

USMC HMH-465 88-94
Reaction score
Hey joe, yeah I will have to take some pics still need to fix one curve where it joins the old exhaust run out of time and pieces but works good. Still looking for a spare injector to swap in but need to do a tugger kit first probably at the end of the month. Just did new wheels and tires last week and doing shocks next week so funds are being appropriated rapidly.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
highfive said:
funds are being appropriated rapidly.

Thats funny, my chief financial officer calls that misappropriation of funds.:lmao

I guess what she dont know wont hurt her huh?:innocent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg