early 99 upgrades

wrangler99*

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have an early 99 f-250 and so far ive got a dp tuner diy intake and exhaust. Im looking to spend from 2000 to 4000 on upgrades wat are your suggestions for a small build. What parts and who to buy from. Thanks a bunch, Dallas

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
First of all, I suggest gauges. At least a pyro and a trans temp.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing you might want to look at is cooling. If you don't want to spend 1K + on an inner cooler look into upgrading to a 6.0 cooler that will help to drop the EGT's when adding more fuel to the engine. Have heard as much as 250 degree drop.

Give us a little more info. What are you planning? Do you want a daily driver that gets some good mileage? Do you want a DD that you can drive during the week and race on the weekend? These are all things that will push you from one direction to the next. We can say throw some injectors and a turbo on call it done. But then you get into different size injectors and instead of a full blow turbo maybe you will just need a wicked wheel and compressor housing.

Another thing you can look at is putting on a regulated return fuel system on. That will help with the fuel feed plus you can increase your fuel pressure from a bone stock 50's psi up to a 65-72 psi were the 7.3L like to be.

Just my two cents. I am sure some of the other 7.3L owner will come along and give you some info also.

wrangler99*

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Another thing you might want to look at is cooling. If you don't want to spend 1K + on an inner cooler look into upgrading to a 6.0 cooler that will help to drop the EGT's when adding more fuel to the engine. Have heard as much as 250 degree drop.

Give us a little more info. What are you planning? Do you want a daily driver that gets some good mileage? Do you want a DD that you can drive during the week and race on the weekend? These are all things that will push you from one direction to the next. We can say throw some injectors and a turbo on call it done. But then you get into different size injectors and instead of a full blow turbo maybe you will just need a wicked wheel and compressor housing.

Another thing you can look at is putting on a regulated return fuel system on. That will help with the fuel feed plus you can increase your fuel pressure from a bone stock 50's psi up to a 65-72 psi were the 7.3L like to be.

Just my two cents. I am sure some of the other 7.3L owner will come along and give you some info also.

thanks for all your info. I really dont pull anything too heavy to often. I want a daily driver that will move real quick. and have good power. I was looking at the d66 turbo since its an early 99 and thought maybe that would be an option. Im will probly have to send in my chip and get it reburned if i would get different injectors. Ive thought about an intercooler also butt didnt no if it would be worth it to spend that much. My eyes are allways peeled on the gauges so i never let her get too hott.

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
my early '99 needed the ball joints and brake job all around at 130k miles, just thought i would bring that up incase yours could use ball joints or some other maint. item.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I guess I've done about as many mods to an early 99 as anyone.

I've changed the intake covers to the larger 99.5 versions

This involved getting some connector boots to adapt the old intake spyder to the larger intake diameter of the new covers. I also had to "modify" the cover on the drivers side. The higher intake cover was interfering with the bottom of the turbo's compressor housing. I "adjusted" the cover with a hammer just enough to get the minimum clearance to get the turbo mounted. You can see where the clearance was needed and how minimal it was where the little piece of cardboard is inserted.
6922d1198108072-d66-its-here-im001538.jpg

Aside from that, I think the Dominator 66 install, single shot injectors, Wildman flip chip, MBRP 4" exhaust, AIS w/foam sleeve, BTS trans and 6.0 intercooler are all things many others have done before.

wrangler99*

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
is there any other turbo options for the early 99 without any major modifications. Id like it to have a nice whistle

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
is there any other turbo options for the early 99 without any major modifications.

For an early 99, not really. The D66 is about it. Anything else like a 99.5 style turbo or a H2E and you have to start replacing the turbo pedestal, up-pipes, intake spyder and intake covers as a minimum. The D66 from Bean's is about the only option that will drop right in without changing a lot of other stuff.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58