Ford recall 1.8M trucks and SUV - 7.3L CPS!! **Main Discussion thread**

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my CPS went out? The truck has been shutting off the past few weeks, went to start it and took like 20 seconds of cranking and it ran again, drove it for 3 mins and it died, even went thru a starter cranking. Installed the new starter and truck started after 45 seconds of cranking then it died 5 mins later, now it wont start, replaced fuel filter, starter. I called a local dealer and they want to charge me $135.00 min to check my truck and I have pay a tow truck to get it there. Are tows covered by the recall? any info would be great...thanks 99 f250 223k miles

Ohh yeah, im stuck in southern california by the way......

I'm not aware of any CPS failure.. Free towing, But...

You could take your registration (VIN #) to the nearest Ford Dealer, they can run an Oasis report to verify the CPS hasn't been replaced under the Recall... They could/should Give You A New CPS... Free, you could change it out yourself ? To get Un-stuck, in SoCal ?

Where, in SoCal are you ??

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any CPS failure.. Free towing, But...

You could take your registration (VIN #) to the nearest Ford Dealer, they can run an Oasis report to verify the CPS hasn't been replaced under the Recall... They could/should Give You A New CPS... Free, you could change it out yourself ? To get Un-stuck, in SoCal ?

Where, in SoCal are you ??

:dunno

Joe

I am in los angeles near glendale ca, I called the glendale dealer and asked them if I can pick up the part and they told me NO, they have to install it. Do you guys know where I can purchase one at? What is the cost? What about a international part number? thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in los angeles near glendale ca, I called the glendale dealer and asked them if I can pick up the part and they told me NO, they have to install it. Do you guys know where I can purchase one at? What is the cost? What about a international part number? thanks

The Ford part # is: F7TZ-12K073-B.. For the recall replacement CPS (Grey one). Call IH and have them cross it ? NAPA may have it too ? They are about 25 to 50 bucks.... depending on who you get one from.

Last edited:

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, i will start looking for one now. I went outside to go see the rpm gauge during cranking and it moved and statered for about 2 minutes then it died, tried to stat again and no luck and rpm needle did not move, tried it again and it it started for about 30 seconds and died again....Where is the CPS located at? Is there a thread on location and pics? thanks again

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the CPS and it fired right up, It even runs better....thanks guys for your help

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get a spare CPS and keep it in the glovebox. You will need it on some lonely backroad, at night...

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58