02 7.3 issues, not drivable

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just over my brothers house to check on his truck, its an 02 f250 7.3. He hasn't driven it in a few weeks and went to use it yesterday and its was difficult to start and has very rough idle, seems like its missing cylinders. There is NO exhaust smoke, no white or black as I expected. There is a CEL, but my scanner wont detect it for some reason, its saying there are no codes present. He wont be able to get it to Ford anytime soon and it will need a tow. Its been chilly here in the low 20's at night and the last time he fueled was about 3-4 weeks ago, thinking possible gelled fuel. Tried that avenue, but no change. The fuel in the filter housing is clear and its full. Any ideas, I'm going to try and get another scanner tomorrow, but dont know if that will work. Thanks for your time.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I was just over my brothers house to check on his truck, its an 02 f250 7.3. He hasn't driven it in a few weeks and went to use it yesterday and its was difficult to start and has very rough idle, seems like its missing cylinders. There is NO exhaust smoke, no white or black as I expected. There is a CEL, but my scanner wont detect it for some reason, its saying there are no codes present. He wont be able to get it to Ford anytime soon and it will need a tow. Its been chilly here in the low 20's at night and the last time he fueled was about 3-4 weeks ago, thinking possible gelled fuel. Tried that avenue, but no change. The fuel in the filter housing is clear and its full. Any ideas, I'm going to try and get another scanner tomorrow, but dont know if that will work. Thanks for your time.

try unplugging the IPR sensor and see if that cleans it up..
you may find the connector is full of oil & gunk

other than that, you need a better scan tool..
here's a hint..
I saw a black friday ad for a laptop for $179...
AutoEginuity software is like $350..
that's the cheapest non-generic scan tool you're ever going to buy..

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
You have to have ford enhanced software to read the trucks.
did you try pluging it in first? better = likely glow plug
check oil level? how long on oil change ? mine starts acting up with old oil and cold.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try unplugging the IPR sensor and see if that cleans it up..
you may find the connector is full of oil & gunk

other than that, you need a better scan tool..
here's a hint..
I saw a black friday ad for a laptop for $179...
AutoEginuity software is like $350..
that's the cheapest non-generic scan tool you're ever going to buy..

;tu!!!!!!!!!!!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to have ford enhanced software to read the trucks.
did you try pluging it in first? better = likely glow plug
check oil level? how long on oil change ? mine starts acting up with old oil and cold.

x2

I've had an issue similar with my 96 F250. It took forever (half a can of starting fluid....it was a desperate situation), even after I had it plugged in for 2hrs. The low that night was about 10*. It ran fine the day before, so I figured just like you it was gelled fuel. I tried running it 20 miles to see if it would clear up. Fastest I could get was about 25mph. Took it to the local diesel mechanic and it was a blown valve cover gasket IIRC. Also had to replace the wiring harness.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, looked over electrical connections, they seem clean, no gunk build up in them. Tried another code scanner and no codes found, no CEL today. Truck still wont stay running, seems like its starving for fuel. NO smoke from exhaust. It will turn over and start, very rough idle like missing cylinders and stall after a few seconds. Could this be a bad CPS? Never had any issues with my scanners on Ford trucks before, they always pulled codes and even on my 08 and 10 350. Trying to save some $ before its going to have to go into the shop soemwhere. As for the oil, its probably got around 4k on it, Rotella 15/40. Ambient temps here are in the 40-50, 30's at night this week.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Filter ?

Batteries in good shape (Charge wize) ?

Clamps & Posts good, clean'n & tight ?

Could be a CPS, but symptoms arent typical :dunno

Joe

dpantazis

Reaction score
DO NOT USE ETHER OR STARTING FLUID!!! you risk SERIOUS damage to yourself and the motor.

does the tach move consistently when you crank it? that would help diagnose CPS issues.

i would check the UVCH again, the connection inside the cover might have come loose. there was a TSB on the connector issue and the fix was a retainer clip. maybe $15 parts from ford. or you could use the 50 cent trick: use 2 quarters as shims to keep it tight. you might get a P1316 code if this is the case.

oil: more important that oil age is oil level. check it to make sure you are not low.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Could this be a bad CPS? Never had any issues with my scanners on Ford trucks before, they always pulled codes and even on my 08 and 10 350.

its always good to talk it out. I think you just gave yourself the answer, check the #30 fuse (pcm fuse). also a bad cps would not let the tac move at cranking.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Easy way to help determine if its a Valve Cover harness, Once you get the truck to start, run it as long as you can ... or a few minutes .... feel your exhaust manifolds Valve covers, you will almost always have one "COLD" side... normally if its a GPR or GP issue the truck will start to run better once the coolant temp starts to climb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58