03 6.0 died

vinceismyhero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Driving home today I took off from a stop light when my truck started to bog down and then died. Tried to restart with no luck. Though it wouldn't start, it sounded like it wanted to. So I cranked it for about 20 seconds then it slowly came to life and was barely idling. The idle was very rough and anything below 1500 rpms it would try to die. Drove it to a gas station thinking I might have cut it to close on fuel but as my truck was idling as I was getting diesel it died again. Same thing, wouldn't start normally. Had to let it crank for 20-25 seconds to get it started. When I have the rpms up its fine. Any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What do you drive and what engine. 2003 trucks came with two different engines. It matters what engine you have. Fill out your signature so we can help you. Go to the USER CP on the TOP BLUE LINE and click edit signature and fill it out with what you drive and any mods you have.

Dave

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the title says 03 6.0 died. so just a hunch, but I'm thinking he drives a 2003 with a 6.0L

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did not look at the title of your post. Now I see you have a 6.0 engine. You had better get it scanned. This will tell you if you need a new FICM or not. It could be the Cam sensor, but not a common problem with the 6.0. It might be as atvrider93 suggested, but fuel pump failures are not common. The HPOP might be going south on you.

Dave

vinceismyhero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll have to get it scanned. Is there any other place besides ford to get that done?

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
a shop that specifically works on diesels most likely could. but just any old shop probably wont have the equipment. tha tor its really no different than scanning a gas and you could get an autoparts store to do it, try this first

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure you didn't run it to low on fuel ?? It may have started to loose it's prime (fuel Pressure) ?

Just a thought.

Is it still idling rough.. but okay at higher RPMs ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14