03 6.0L down

Max Power

Reaction score
Truck quit today right in the Ford Dealers parking lot. What are the chances?

Barely runs, have to hold it to the floor to keep it running. Sounds like its running on maybe 2 cylinders. It was just sitting in the parking lot idling and it started to choke and within in 5 seconds it died.

I'll know more Monday.
-mad

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Well, of all the places for it to quit...you got lucky. Better there than anywhere else. Saved youself a tow charge.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I had to drop mine off at the Ford dealer today. Mine has been bucking, surging and had stahled a few times. Of course, on the way to the dealers in morning it never did it! Anyway, they will have it over the weekend :( They did give me a Taurus to drive though. Felt like I was driving a go-cart all day. I miss my X already. Hope yours works out well. :sweet

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
haulin8or said:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I had to drop mine off at the Ford dealer today. Mine has been bucking, surging and had stalled a few times. Of course, on the way to the dealers in morning it never did it! Anyway, they will have it over the weekend :( They did give me a Taurus to drive though. Felt like I was driving a go-cart all day. I miss my X already. Hope yours works out well. :sweet

One of our '04 F-350 6.0 work trucks did the bucking, surging and stalling too. Ford reflashed it under warrenty...problem solved.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
hheynow said:
One of our '04 F-350 6.0 work trucks did the bucking, surging and stalling too. Ford reflashed it under warrenty...problem solved.
I wonder how much damage can be done to the engine and drivetrain with the bucking,surging and stalling?

Bill

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
I wonder how much damage can be done to the engine and drivetrain with the bucking,surging and stalling?

Bill

Bill, Funny you should ask. A week after the re-flash it was returned to Ford service for a Torque-Shift tranny recall. They replaced a planetary gear among other things.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I may be speaking out of tuen here, but if this was the old 7.3 I would say you have an under VC wiring harness burnt. But I'm not sure how the 6.0 handles the injector/GP wiring issues.

Max Power

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention. The truck quit on the dealers park lot. After 10 minutes of trying to start on the dealers parking lot I was wiggling wires at the turbo and for somre reason it started up and ran normal. We drove it about a block and it quit again. This time it would not restart.

You very well might be right on the wiring issue. I know there was some problems with wiring on these and this truck has never had a bolt turned on it. The wiring harness sure seam tight in many places and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if one wore through somewhere.

It has also been having tons of issues where it would be seriously lacking power while driving down the road or accelerating then it would all the sudden be normal again. Almost like the turbo died but there had never been any black smoke.

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max Power said:
One thing I forgot to mention. The truck quit on the dealers park lot. After 10 minutes of trying to start on the dealers parking lot I was wiggling wires at the turbo and for somre reason it started up and ran normal. We drove it about a block and it quit again. This time it would not restart.

You very well might be right on the wiring issue. I know there was some problems with wiring on these and this truck has never had a bolt turned on it. The wiring harness sure seam tight in many places and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if one wore through somewhere.

It has also been having tons of issues where it would be seriously lacking power while driving down the road or accelerating then it would all the sudden be normal again. Almost like the turbo died but there had never been any black smoke.

I asked the service writter at the Ford dealer to look into the wiring harness. I read on another board that Ford is starting to tell the service departments to change the harnesss. Mine has had just about every other logical component swapped out, except for the wiring harness (before I bought it anyway) and still had the buck & jerks. There is also a new flash out, as of 4/18 that mine needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58