03 f350 wont start

IL67BP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my father has an 03 f350 dually. it has 80,*** miles. hes only had it for a couple of months. a few weeks ago it started becoming hard to start but always would start. then recently he was backing into my driveway and it stalled. after being parked it would start again the next day but only to stall a minute later. now it will not start at all. we drained the hcfm changed both fuel filters checked the oil checked the air filter checked relay 303 (fuel heater relay) switched with another relay and still nothing. it cranks fine (battery charged and starter working ) any help would be appreciated thanks

IL67BP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oil was fine. But no I can't pull codes. When I hook up the on I use for my 00 expedition it says cannot read. Is it different for diesels or something?

IL67BP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The wait to start light comes on every time and stays on for a little and when it. Shuts off I try to start it

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it different for diesels or something?

Yes.

Get a second person and verify that the upper fuel filter is being filled (KOEO - do not crank). Remove the upper fuel filter and observe the fill rate while someone waits for your signal to turn the key off.

Also verify that the oil reservoir is filling properly. You again need two people for the task. Like the fuel filter, remove the oil filter, but w/ this task you will need to also depress the oil filter drain valve to keep the oil from just draining back into the crankcase. When you remove the oil filter, it allows this drain valve to open.

These steps can somewhat verify that fuel delivery and base oil pressure is either OK or not.

Then it gets more complicated. I would recommend checking the FICM voltage at KOEO, cranking, and at 2k rpms (if possible). You should always be above 45V according to Ford, but IMO it should always be above 47.5V. You can search for the topic of "checking your FICM voltage".

Then I would disconnect the ICP connector and try to start it. On your truck the ICP is behind and under the turbo. It is a PIA to get to. I can send you some links that help direct you w/ this task if you need them. If the truck starts w/ the ICP connector removed, then you have a bad ICP sensor and/or electrical harness. The 03's are bad about these components failing.

IL67BP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok so the fuel filter housing is filling up fine but when checking the oil filter housing and pressing the spring you can see the tiny bit of oil thats in the resevoir moves but does not raise. by tiny bit i mean a couple mm high.
again thanks for the help

IL67BP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well now that it seems like the oil pump and we verified towing and pump would be covered under extended warranty we got the truck towed today. i thank you all very much for the help and ill let you know how it goes so maybe i can help someone else.

IL67BP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
so after $600 for the dealer to "diagnose" portfolio says it will not be covered under warranty. dealer says it was hpop sensor and regulator. estimated cost $3000! wow they really screwed us especially since "all internally lubricated parts" are covered

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14