04 6.0 as daily driver

mx730md

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hi,
i want to know what your opinions are for a 04 6.0 f250 as a daily driver i have a 30min drive/15 miles to work each day. and on the week ends i usually drive around 150-200 mile for motocross races. i dont think i should have any problem with a 6.0 since i wont really be towing a lot maybe 3000 at the most, im sure alot will say get a gas but the diesel makes be grin ear to ear.what is the typical mpg around 15? i drive like a old lady through town and also do these have a block heater? it's starting to cool down at night.
thanks and i hope i can stick around here:D

atk

Reaction score
i don`t think you should have a problem. i use mine for just that, a daily driver. i use mine for work and hauling the family around, but i usually put on about 60 miles a day. also, i plan on doing more towing in the future, like i use too....it doesn`t make very good economical sense to drive one of these trucks daily, but i do. i feel safer in a larger vehicle....i get anywhere from 15mpg to 23mpg(Cdn gallon and hand calculated) depending on what i am doing....

couple things you should know....1-no extended idle time
2-drive it you stole it(once a week)
both these will help the varible vanes in the turbo frome sticking....;tu

yes these do have a block heater.....try looking for the cord by the right driving light in the front bumper. it may be hidden, but should be there..

hope this helps and welcome to SDD....

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
IMO, the trucks that seem to have more problems are the trucks that are toys that aren't driven as much. Diesels need to be run and even a 30 minute drive will be good for it, even better is that you will get some good long distance time on the weekends running at highway speeds. I would seriously consider a reputable Cetane Boost additive for your truck. You will be driving under conditions where the EGR system will working more so use an additive along with fuel from a reputable station, to prevent buildup in the more sensitive EGR system parts. Like ATK said, do not idle the truck if you don't need to, it's a wasteful habit in pickup trucks that needs to stop and will do wonders for your overall fuel economy. Idling gets you nowhere!!! Literally and figuratively.

mx730md

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what would your suggest as a additive? also you guys say not to idle i would think it would be better for about 5min to get the engine and trans warmed up and let it cool of for a min or two when you turn it of?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
5 minutes is plenty long for a warm up period. Cooling down for shut down is a good practice, if you have a pyrometer just let the turbo get to 300°-350° and you are good to go. If you dont have a pyro then two minutes should get you cooled down.

Stanadyne and DieselKleen are two reputable additives for your fuel.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0's need to be ran hard. otherwise they build crap up in the engine. It needs to tow 10+ thousand pounds here and there. Or just be dogged on a bit.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somewhat stupid question?

What is considered "extended idle time"? I make sure to use Diesel Kleen and drive it like I stole it every once in a while, plus tow a 5k trailer. I do let it idle at times sometime for 10 or 15 minutes. If the family sits in the truck and I run into a store...etc. I will generally "get after it" when I take off after idleing. What would be a good rule of thumb?

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an additive from Lucas that seems to work well. I also put a louvered tailgate on the truck which has helped in the mileage. I usually run up and down the road, at the speed limits, and get ~16.5 mpg. I towed cattle all this last weekend and got ~11.4 mpg towing 6000-7000 lbs plus the trailer. That is the best mileage I have ever gotten towing.

Good luck with your truck! Also, you have picked the right spot for advice. I joined the site a couple of months ago and the guys here are great!

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Mine is a daily driver and I only drive 15 min (6miles) to work and then home again.

I love my truck. Never had any huge issues or problems and it runs great!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14