04 6 leaker leaking

F250 FTW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea Im smoking white in the mornings then its just black smoke. Where is the EGR Valve?

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Yea Im smoking white in the mornings then its just black smoke. Where is the EGR Valve?

If you are smoking white when you first start-up I am guessing that you have a EGR cooler failing. When mine started smoking white it did the same thing (only when starting cool). The good thing is that you identified the problem. The bad thing is that is cost a bit to fix.

What normally is happening is that the oil cooler is clogging up and that (because the oil cooler is first in the coolant line) overheats the EGR cooler making it over expand (it pulls on the tubes inside) to the point of leaking.

You need to replace the oil cooler and EGR cooler at the same time. Do some research and find a good mechanic that works on 6.0L. Get it repaired soon because your engine could lock up (hydro-lock is when you get fluid in the cylinder that will not compress when the piston compresses - it will break something internal). Right now you only have a small leak but it WILL get bigger and cause hydro-lock.

Here is the bad news. The cost for parts are expensive (on Ebay they cost about $900.00) and then add the labor cost. You are looking at a cost about $1500.00 to $2000.00

If you hydro-lock you are looking at a possible total engine replacement so this is why I said fix it as quick as you can.

I had mine repaired (at a friend mechanic) and he repaired it within 5 hours.

I am going to install a coolant filter in the very near future to help try to keep the dirt out of my new oil cooler. There are many write-ups on this mod on the forums

I hope this helps ya.

Last edited:

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
The EGR valve is right on the top of the engine, right behind the cooling fan shroud. It has two bolts holding it on. When you take the two bolts off it will take a bit of finagling to get it out. Then you can look down inside to look of liquid (it might not be all that much - depending one how long it sat over night). There is a gasket seal on the bottom of the EGR so try not to damage it when removing. Or just replace it.

The EGR looks similar to this (plug might be different)
and my degas bottle use to look like this because of the over heating oil and EGR cooler

F250 FTW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its not leaking anymore, idk it just stopped and the only thing with the truck no is that it struggles to go up in rpm's and im shooting out alot of black smoke when i accelerate

F250 FTW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it run on the diagnostic computer and it pulled up the codes for the EGR Valve and EGR sensor, know where I can get these cheap? Will it keep blowing the valve and sensor due to my exhaust?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ebay.com has them. Do a search for "Ford 6.0 EGR" and you will see all of the stuff for the egr.

Dave

F250 FTW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I do an EGR Bypass Kit, cuz i hear that with mods, the EGR will keep going off?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58