'04 sd 6.0 no start

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
Drove my truck this afternoon without any issues (never had an issue b4). 1 hour later, I turn it over and all I get is over and over, but NO START. New fuel filters 5000mi ago(with oil change), and no codes in ECU/PCM(whatever). I did a nice kick to the fuel tank, and nothing(trying to jar pump??). Is there an easy way to check fuel pressure, or is there an order to go about checking things. I'm a rookie on diesels, and I don't know where most diesel specific sensors are, but if anyone can tell me what to check, I could go through this stuff in the morning (hoping for many responses here ;-))
I've checked all fuses that relate to fuel or computer, and all look good. Turns over at nice speed, but no sign of any starting at all.
Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I do not have an answer for your no start problem, but you can check a few things. Oil level. These trucks need 500 psi oil pressure to fire the injectors at start. Your starter and batteries need to be in top shape, charged are capable of 775 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) delivery to the starter motor. The starter needs to spin the engine at 500 rpm for a start. Check these and see what you find. Good Luck.

Dave

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
How do I check (and where is) the HPOP. Is there an HPOP sender that may be bad?

Last edited:

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I know what your going through. Mine has done that before too. It took 5-6 times cranking it for 15 secs with breaks in between before mine would start. You can hear the fuel pump running if you listen by the tank right after you turn on the key. Just got mine back from the dealer today for the no start, turbo cleaning, and egr cleaning but they never said what caused or could of caused the no start problem. I thought it was the fitting recall thing in the hpop but didn't see that on the invoice. They reflashed mine again too. Last time only part of the new flash was entered into the pcm.

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
Here's where I'm at

06/04 F250 SD 6.0 Diesel has run perfect until yesterday. I parked it at 3PM, and tried to start it it 5PM. Turns over VERY well, but no hint at all of trying to fire. I have fuel pressure at secondary filter, and starting fluid DOES fire engine. my primative scanner does show cranking RPM of 570, so I assume that the crank trigger is good. Any points of interest that I should check. I want to check oil pressure at the ICP (500PSI min), but I dont have a 250-2000 PSI gauge. I may be able to get a nice scanner tomorrow, but is there anything I can check while hoping for the scanner to become available?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, esp. on 6.0 engine. But what about your fuel quality/level? It fires with some starter fluid but not just cranking...maybe you got a slug of bad fuel/water. Have you drained the filter (be sure to capture the fuel and inspect it)? In your very first post you mentioned fuel tank and pump...

Sorry, not much help otherwise. :dunno Good luck!

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
Scan tool shows 293PSI (NOT ENOUGH OIl PRESSURE TO FIRE INJECTORS), so I assume that means HPOP replacement. Is there a way to check the ICP, as I'm thinkin' that it may be bad showing a bad reading???????
Any input here?
Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Oil fires the injectors. The HPOP may have taken a dive. I don't understand the second part of your question.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58