'04 sd 6.0 no start

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
The ICP could show bad pressure right? I assume the the MAC Mentor scan tool reads the ICP right (or wrong)? I'm thinkin' that the engine ran PERFECT when I shutb it off, then all of a sudden a no start next time. Sounds possibly electrical/sensor related to me-but what do I know ;-)
Would an HPOP slowly get bad, or do they all of a sudden go bad. If all of a sudden they go bad, why did it run perfect until shut off-HMMMMMMM
What I'm saying is that the ICP is what reads the oil pressure, and that reading tells the PCM(computer to go ahead and let the injectors fire. I'm just thinkin' that the injectors are still electrically controlled, and if the computer doesn't see 500PSI(bad ICMsender) that even if the injectors are acually gettin' over 500PSI, the computer may not see the ICM at 500PSI to fire the injectors. My whole deal here is that an injector likely doesn't take 500 lbs to fire, but the computer likely is the limiter for the 500LB needed. Just my guess. This (again), could mean a faulty sending unit????????????? Wow, the SH*%'s likely gettin' deep over here in ALLTIRE land, as I'm just speculating on this, but I you know what I'm askin' here.
Any ideas?
Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
According to Ford''s Service DVD, the ICP tells the PCM how much pressure the injectors are putting out. Your MAC scanner should show the ICP output and the oil pressure, indirectly. I think you are on the right track. Good Luck.

Dave :)

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Come on Alltire figure it out. It sure might help me. Mine didn't start again on Sat. Only happens after it has been run then shut off for 10-30 minutes. It has to cool off for several hours before it fires back up. I had it in to the dealer last week but they didn't find anything.

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
ICP, IPR, or HPOP, but which one, I don't know. My biggest problem with doing the HPOP (myself) is that it ran perfect before it wouldn't start. That hints to me that it's electronic maybe. I keep searching for HPOP replacement, and everything is showing signs of leakage, or runs bad, or can restart at times(cold), things like that. I do have 210,000 miles on mine, and it wouldn't be odd to have a bad HPOP at high mileage, but sensors seem just as likely, and more likely to all of a sudden quit. The HPOP is typical to show signs(although not always). I need to check both thjese sensors somehow, and I may have a friend come over Tuesday.
ANY IDEAS ON CHECKING THESE? ohms(not running), voltage KOEO, anything??? Hopefully tuesday if no response here.
Dave, thanks for the encouragement here, and the manual does say that the PCM needs the sensor to show 500PSI, for the PCM to engauge the injectors. This confirms my idea that the ICP could be bad, or the IPR could be bleeding and letting some pressure by(causing ICP low readings). All of these are possibilities, and F100CLEVELAND, you need to get your sensors scanned in real time while running, and it'll show running (ICP) pressure, and then start it for starting pressure. If it doesn't start(hopefully0 then the pressure is likely showing under 500 (like mine, and you'll have to figure out which of the 3 are bad. Don't take my diagnosis for yours, as any of the 3 (and more things too)can cause starting issues, and they will all look the same to the key that you turn. ;-)
THESE ARE ALWAYS THE 3 LIKELY THINGS THAT CAN BE BAD ON 6.0L ENGINES, WHEN YOU KNOW YOU HAVE GOOD FUEL/FUEL PRESSURE.
I still need help, if anyone wants to chime in on the testing of the 2 electronic pieces here ICP/IPR. Anyone...........Bueller.............Anyone?????

Last edited:

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

Well,.......................... HPOP is comin' out(and goin' in). I ran the 5V input from the voltage into ICP wire connection and connected that to the out of the ICP connection and the pressure reads WAY above 500 (looking at borrowed scanner while cranking) to the PCM, but still no start.
Meaning:
NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE IN THE HPOP TO FIRE THE injectors. The regulator at the HPOP could be bad, but I see .25V at KOEO, and .85 as I'm cranking, which tells me the regulator is trying to pull pressure up to start (in the book it's supposed to do this. ALL THIS POINTS TO HPOP.
Now, I've looked for articles on the R&R process, but I still am not feeling 100% comfortable. Any BEST articles or things that'll kick my A%# as I go? Am I leaning my gut across this monster engine bay, or do I build a dang scaffolding (34" tires) to stand on? ;-)
Thanks for guidance here and you may not hear from me till it's running.
Thanks for ALL input here.
Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Somebody makes a creeper that will go high enough to lay across your engine while you work. I do not know who has this, but someone here will chime in. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave :)

alltire

MN TIRE DUDE
Reaction score
FIX 6.0L Diesel NO START

Sorry for the delay in replying.
No start on mine was this process, with help from a couple forums, and Dave Ben, and others, here was what I had to do;
Get scanner to read cranking oil pressure at HPOP(high pressure oil pump)
Mine showed 285 or so(needs to be min. 500PSI to fire the injectors), so I checked my ICP sensor(ok), and looked for any oil leakage at HPOP(none). I then brought it in to replace the HPOP, and pump regulator valve(at pump) and changed the oil 15 mins after it was fired back up. All works and ICP shows GREAT PSI, and runs like new. ($1750.00 for everything).
REMEMBER, just cuz mine was HPOP, doesn't mean yours is, and ICP sensor should always be looked at, along with the HPOP regulator(IPR at pump), and wire issues to sensors.
Good luck, but the key here is to have access to a scanner to verify HPOP cranking pressure. This is a complex scanner, not a code scanner, and MOST shops have these and charge a 1/2 hour -1 hour charge to hook up and evaluate the readings.
Good luck,
Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58