'05 F-350 burned to the ground!!!

DieselMonkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Howdy fellas, I have a big problem. My '05 F-350 burned to the ground last Sunday. Fire started in the engine compartment(?) don't really know. We were out hunting and as we were driving down the FS road noticed black smoke coming into the cab. Killed the motor popped the hood and flames leaped out. We started dumping snow on the fire which was a losing battle, grabbed guns ammo and what we could until flames made it to the front of the cab and forced us away. Truck is a total loss!
Anybody heard of such a thing with these rigs:

Max Power

Reaction score
Bummer. Pretty rare on a new truck. If the truck is completely stock I'm guessing this won't be the last one we hear of.

Reaction score
Damn - first one that I have heard of. Had it happen to me once - my 77 GMC - but that was my fault. They do go real fast though - glad you were not hurt.

Ron

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you don't have to get the engine reflashed.

Replace a fuel filter lately.? That turbo runs some hot. Spilled fuel would be nasty.
Battery short. ie starter jammed, can drain battery so fast that the wires melt and catch fire

FACTORY F...UP

Either way that sucks, sorry to hear that.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be the first in a diesel I've heard of !!!

Hell I tried to start a fire with diesel and couldn't !!!

Now gassers can go poof really quick :)

DieselMonkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
About 4k miles ago, the fuel filters were changed and all current flashes taken care of. No problems at all. Just a few seconds before it went up, I got a trouble code on the message center "TBC default". Trailer Brake Controller, but I was not towing. Very odd. Really feels crappy to lose a truck I liked so much, anyway insurance is being really cool about it and should take care of me, I really hope they do some serious looking for the cause and make Ford take a look so none of you guys have this type of problem.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Ahhh...a wiring problem! Possibly a short in the harness took out your truck. Even though diesel has a higher flash point, there are still other items under the hood that will burn, eventually taking your truck with it. Think about those poor souls who have the bad cruise control switches that are setting their SUV's and trucks on fire. Same thing. That being said, this makes a case for carrying an item in your truck that the commercial drivers do...a fire extinguisher!

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Dang!:( How long have you had your new 05 there DM? Gonna try and get back into another new SuperDuty?:)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
rray32539 said:
this makes a case for carrying an item in your truck that the commercial drivers do...a fire extinguisher!
Each year I took my rig in for the annual commercial DOT inspection the fire extinguisher was a requirement(at least for CHP):)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58