06E17 Flash Scheduled Tonight

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 03' 6.0 is going in for the 06E17 update tonight. Should I be concerned? Seems as though these updates tend to get a lot of bad press. Anyone had this done with positive results?

Thanks

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah Marco. I saw that, but was hoping that wasn't the only feedback. I guess I'll be the group's second guinea pig.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Madkaw, how did your reprogram work?

I need to do mine also but I am having my doubts....

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So far its been good. I currently don't have any performance mods (67k). I haven't had a chance to check mileage, will keep everyone posted. Performance seems to have an overall increase. Boost pressure is toping out at about 26 psi. Mechanic said they were having alot of EGR's blowing out at 30, which I believe was changed in a re-flash last year. If you are running an aftermarket tuner, settle for good enough. The re-flash wouldn't be woth the hassle if you don't have a problem.

Mechanic also said he has seen 4 6.0's with Banks 6-gun system in the last month with MELTED heads and head gasket failures. Something with coolant around EGR being super heated before its dumped back to aluminum heads. Beware!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
madkaw said:
So far its been good. I currently don't have any performance mods (67k). I haven't had a chance to check mileage, will keep everyone posted. Performance seems to have an overall increase. Boost pressure is toping out at about 26 psi. Mechanic said they were having alot of EGR's blowing out at 30, which I believe was changed in a re-flash last year. If you are running an aftermarket tuner, settle for good enough. The re-flash wouldn't be woth the hassle if you don't have a problem.

Mechanic also said he has seen 4 6.0's with Banks 6-gun system in the last month with MELTED heads and head gasket failures. Something with coolant around EGR being super heated before its dumped back to aluminum heads. Beware!

how well do you trust this mechanic??

Engine Type: Power Stroke® Diesel turbocharged 6.0-liter V-8 diesel Cast iron block and heads, forged steel crankshaft

but i could be wrong
you should still be able to pull 30 lbs.

give it a few days to re-learn, the tow haul is a bit better now to.:D

Last edited:

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've not known this mechanic long, but seems very solid and knowledgeable. I could have misunderstood. But he stated that the superhot coolant from EGR was melting the aluminum cooling fins when circulated back up to the heads.
Sorry I can't tell ya much more.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds a little strange... considering there isn't any aluminum present in a cast iron head! I think we're aluminum rads, I haven't looked to see what is in my oh 6. Our old one was a rather huge, and heavy, copper and brass unit. Never overheated though...

Duh... wait a sec... aluminum melts at about 1200F depending on what it's alloyed with... you mean to tell me that antifreeze can carry that much heat, when best case it might survive to 235 at 15 psi tank pressure?? Not bloody likely!

Might be melting the EGR itself, but I don't know what they are made of or even looked at one yet. Even that is a bit of a stretch, like a lot.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I didnt mean to be cras, my thorn was not towards you, I am just tired of hearing so called techs and their HUGE whooper stories about things to try to make us feel better...... or worse
when in fact it would be just plain easier to tell the TRUTH, I know thats a new concept. If you dont know, then you dont know, its ok to say "i dont KNOW"
these guys are busy fixing all kinds of things evryday, I am sure they are jsut repaeting what they hear from someone who is supposed to be knowledgeable,
but making up stuff on the fly is jsut plain bad FOR BUSINESS.

my service writer tried to tell me the reason my truck was not building boost was that the turbo is SO HUGE it takes a while to build up boost, so its not just your guys

again
i didnt mean a thorny shot at you, just the folks who sometimes lack the intestinall fortitude to tell the truth

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So that no one gets offended let me start by saying, "I DON'T KNOW." The mechanic may not have correctly diagnosed the cause, but there is a problem. For him to have 4 PSDs in the last 30 days, all having the 6-gun mod-system with either head or head gasket failure, is worth noting. I added that to my thread as a warning to those who are considering or who have already installed the Bank's System as a heads up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14