06E17 Flash Scheduled Tonight

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
madkaw said:
I've not known this mechanic long, but seems very solid and knowledgeable. I could have misunderstood. But he stated that the superhot coolant from EGR was melting the aluminum cooling fins when circulated back up to the heads.
Sorry I can't tell ya much more.

Hes talking about the EGR cooler. :sweet The heads are cast iron.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was looking at the dieselman's site and found hs write-up about this recall.

What is interesting is the extra procedure to clear codes(if any) and test drive.... makes me wonder if those with "bad experiences" with this recall did not have it done with the latest WDS computer update number or if the procedure used was not done correctly????

Seems there is/was a broadcast message to go along with this recall???

Here is the cut and paste of info:

2003/04 Computer Programming Recall 06E17:
Truck built before 9-29-03 are being recalled to have the computer reprogrammed. The reason for this recall is to correct fuel injection timing during cold operation, EGR valve control, lack of power, check engine light illumination (P02263 or P0299), hard starting and rough running concerns related to Exhaust BackPressure sensor corrosion. Other symptoms not listed in this recall, but which could occur, would be excessive smoke, turbo control and surging at idle or cruise. The new update eliminates the EBP sensor input to the computer. The exhaust backpressure will now be inferred/calculated using other sensor signals. Trucks should be reprogrammed using versions 41.8 or 42.1 or higher.

After this reprogramming, the truck should be test driven, the computer checked for a codes and the codes cleared (even if none are present), the key cycled on for five seconds, then turned off twice, then the engine started and allowed to idle for 5 minutes at operating temperature to allow the computer to relearn the EGR valve closed position value. This is to prevent erronious codes or driveability sysmptoms related to the EGR valve an turbo performance. Broadcast Messages 5452, 5529.

You should notice an increase in turbo cycling closed/whistling at idle and at stops. This is normal, and is to help keep the variable vanes from sticking.

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
madkaw said:
So that no one gets offended let me start by saying, "I DON'T KNOW." The mechanic may not have correctly diagnosed the cause, but there is a problem. For him to have 4 PSDs in the last 30 days, all having the 6-gun mod-system with either head or head gasket failure, is worth noting. I added that to my thread as a warning to those who are considering or who have already installed the Bank's System as a heads up.

That's the reason why my truck remains stock.

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
O.K. here's my Results:

Mileage has improved. => 1.5 mpg improvement, that's not a lot, but that's around 40 miles further on a tank of fuel. (Short trips 30 mile commute)

Cold weather starting is much better. Coldest temps during test were mid 20's at best. Not near as much smoke, or rough starts while timing is retarded.

Power: Take off power seems consistent with pre-flash performance, but higher speed power seems to have decreased a little. Does this make sense? Maybe its my imagination but after first oil change, I've noticed a change in the shift pattern, is it possible that the reflash (bypassing the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor) would cause the engine to lug longer before downshifting at higher speeds?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14