Question 08, 6.4 does not heat up at idle

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey powerstroke guy ! so i went in yesterday to find out the $980 i payed his for 2 years 31,000 mile bumper to bumper service brake,oil etc. 36,000 or 2 yrs electrical , and its 5 year or 100,000 they offer an extended 200,000 , while finding this out i was told there was a recall on my vechicle reguarding 6.4 psd it was *cooling system venturicle vee installation* dropped it off right away was told wouldnt get it back cuz i dropped it off at 4pm and got a call back an hour and half later saying it was done and in the wash rack come on down and get it

Im guessing on top of the factory warranty??

dpantazis

Reaction score
idling a diesel with variable vane geometry turbos will mess up the turbos too! the VVG turbos have been on the trucks since the 6.0s. idling does not spool the turbo up fast enough to clean the blades of soot.

iirc, the 6.4's have 2 of them.

dp

gunman41mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idling a diesel with variable vane geometry turbos will mess up the turbos too! the VVG turbos have been on the trucks since the 6.0s. idling does not spool the turbo up fast enough to clean the blades of soot.

iirc, the 6.4's have 2 of them.

dp

I can't understand, why would FORD have a TRUCK that should not be left idling ?? There is alot of bumper-to-bumper traffic in MIAMI, Plus it's very hot here, if your in your truck, you must have the A/C running or you'll suffocate !!!

dpantazis

Reaction score
any vehicle, gas or diesel in that kind of service environment is going to have issues.

its not ford specific- it applies to ALL diesels with the variable vane turbos- Ford, chebbie, dodge, Mercedes, VW's. I don;t know about the big rigs.

idling a diesel with the variable vane turbo for long periods of time is not a good idea. you have to make boost regularly otherwise you plug up the vanes and actuator.

the soot is even worse once you have an EGR in the mix because the oil vapors will cement the soot and it becomes this nasty gunge.

so if you are going to have you truck sitting idle or bumper to bumper traffic for 23 hours a day, expect to have issues.

dp

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't understand, why would FORD have a TRUCK that should not be left idling ?? There is alot of bumper-to-bumper traffic in MIAMI, Plus it's very hot here, if your in your truck, you must have the A/C running or you'll suffocate !!!

Its not Ford gunman. Its the EPA that have done this to us!! EGR is the problem. All three diesels have the same problem. If you do leave it idling, just drive the truck hard for a bit, and it will clear it out.

dpantazis

Reaction score
we are confusing 2 issues- variable vane turbos and EGR's. why idling a variable vane turbo is bad should be clear.

as far as EGR's go, unfiltered EGR is the problem.

the VW guys figured this out first, in like 1998 when the TDI's started using unfiltered EGR's. the euproeans did not have it so bad since they had better fuel that the US. then we here in the states would get like 95% blockage on the intakes, a combination of dirty fuel and the EGR's.

dp

then the rest of us figured it out.

gunman41mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not Ford gunman. Its the EPA that have done this to us!! EGR is the problem. All three diesels have the same problem. If you do leave it idling, just drive the truck hard for a bit, and it will clear it out.

HI powerstrokeguy, Are you telling me that I screwed up by selling my 1999 F250 7.3 SUPER-CAB LONG-BED XLT with 141,000 miles, to buy my 2008 F250 ???:dunno:dizzy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58