'08 fender vents

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the fenders are a LOW pressure area.. so induction would NOT be a good idea..

best induction area on the truck is the base of the windshield (remember the cowl induction Chevelles?)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By virtue of where they are located and the effects of aerodynamics coming thru the grill you would be hard pressed to get any air into the vents. They are, by design, for helping air exit from the engine compartment.

the fenders are a LOW pressure area.. so induction would NOT be a good idea..

best induction area on the truck is the base of the windshield (remember the cowl induction Chevelles?)

X3 ?

I would think that at heavy throttle demands, at any speed at all, they would, or could have a negative effect.. for air Intake.

Venting air, Yes. Intake of air, No.

Look at the NASCAR bodies, any Inducted air is all from the front or the cowl areas. Any Side venting is to disrupt any negative aero pressures.

The Bow/Nose wave effect :dunno

Last edited:

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since those 08 fender vents are indeed in a low pressure area, I presume it actually helps in evacuating hot air from under the hood? They ARE functional, aren't they?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since those 08 fender vents are indeed in a low pressure area, I presume it actually helps in evacuating hot air from under the hood? They ARE functional, aren't they?

Nope, they're not functional, I'm told on here. Simply a decorative Badge, of sorts.

Joe

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally parked next to an '08 the other day. I looked into the vent holes and could see light thru them. It was getting dark but I could see light shining on the engine thru the vents. So, yes, the vent are functional. I would think someone here with an '08 could snap a few pics for us......hint.....hint.........

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I fully believe that the vents were intended to be an exhaust port of somekind, rather than an intake for air. BUT..................

there are several companies out there that are making kits for the pass. side vent to bring air into the airbox on the 2008 models (IIRC, that is where the airfilter is at on the 6.4), as far as the 6.0 or 7.3 trucks, unless you can route a bunch of pipe to draw in air to the filter, the badges are purely cosmetic.

Having said all that, I did notice in one off the Diesel Mags, that Airaid has a new univeral air intake kit, so that you can basically design your own custom intake.

Looks pretty neat and could really open a whole new world for ZooDad mod.

Airaid Univeral Air Intake Kit

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My intent is to use them for the purpose they were designed for- helping hot air exit the engine bay. I'm not saying that you couldn't get some air in thru them but, aerodynamically, that area is going to be a low pressure area and very little air would be forced thru the vents. I think you would be wasting time and money trying to utilize them for air intake, particularly forced/ram air intake.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14