1 ton ford vs ram

extrucker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing hotshot hauling and am looking at ford vs ram... I figure the cummins is the better engine, simpler, fewer parts, etc. But i don't know about the other maintenance issues with the new trucks. I know the 2010 style fords you have to pull the whole cab to do much of anything to the engine, is that still the case with the new engines? Does dodge have the same type of setup? also, how does the ram manual vs auto vs ford auto compare? I like man. trans. but if it's not the right tool, then it's not the right tool. how about fuel mileage, hauling weight, etc etc etc...
any input would be welcome. Right now I'm making due with my '02 250 5.4 gasser 6spd man.
thanks y'all.
;tu

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have to pull the cab to do anything like head work. But if you go new you have a warranty that handles that. There are a few guys here that haul campers and other thing for a living and they had nothing bad to say about the new trucks with the 7.6 motors.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dogman said.

Having had one or two 3/4 to 1 tons from the Big 3 through the years, and having managed a mix of them, in fleet motor pool settings.. FORD just builds a better truck.. overall.. when i look back at routin preventive maintenance, as compared to unscheduled repairs.

There's something to be said about..... "Built Ford Tough".

I do wish though.. Ford had some sort of arrangement with Cummins (?). (Engine wise only) in th F series.

My .03 ?

Joe

extrucker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
that's been my experience too, but not with anything newer than '09, and mostly just with Fords first-hand. I agree, a ford cummins setup would be the ideal combo. That's why I was wondering if dodge had learned to build a better truck to go with their outsourced engine recently.
:nutkick:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could have a ford Cummins hybrid. But you would have to have it built. There are place that sell the kits for this. If you found a high mileage 6.0 in good shape you could pull the motor and find a old school Cummins before the fully computer motor. That would be a setup, then you would need the bell housing for the ford trans. to Cummins motor and the wire change over kit.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You could have a ford Cummins hybrid. But you would have to have it built. There are place that sell the kits for this. If you found a high mileage 6.0 in good shape you could pull the motor and find a old school Cummins before the fully computer motor. That would be a setup, then you would need the bell housing for the ford trans. to Cummins motor and the wire change over kit.

AND a lot of work. Not a simple swap, but effective.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AND a lot of work. Not a simple swap, but effective.

Dave ;tu

Theres a guy here locally that did a Cummins swap, on a 2010.. talking with him at a truck meet.. He likes the H**L out of it but for the $$ spent and re-engineering involved.. he sez he probably wouldn't do it again.

Looked under the hood.. REAL NICE job, looked Factory but... ??????

Joe

I'm REAL happy with this 6.7.. so far. REAL happy.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You must have a VERY good reason to do this swap. I have done engine swaps into Jeeps and they are easy. I would never consider doing a Cummins swap. I am too old.

Dave :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Dave:lmao

Cleaned & reorganized my shop the other week.. realized I don't need my engine stands & hoist, trans lift and a bunch other of Grunt & Grease related tools... sold it all to a friend that's still into that stuff.:D;)

"Joe'z Dezel Tweaks" has closed up shop. (exsept for my stuff) (and anything I can help with here)

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58