Question 10,000lb GVWR Pkg.

eZAK61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has probaly been kicked around before But......

For a 2011 Diesel F350 SD CC SRW LB w/ a GVWR of 11,400lbs.

What is the purpose of an 10,000lb Pkg. ??????

My dealer didn't seem to know exactly.
I have heard it is just a sticker for DOT purposes.
I have also heard that the computer on the line will automatically select different springs !!

I need the extra payload capacity to pull a 5th wheel.

Thank You

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
it might keep it under the magic 10000lbs number anything over if you use it for company it is considered a commercial vehicle and you need to carry a health card and fill out a log book for long trips and possible need a class "C" license if not towing a trailer. My boss has a '03 DRW SD with a GVWR of over 10000 and was towing the other bosses pickup on a trailer so they could talk. Got pulled over by the DOT on the way down to Texas shut him down for 11hrs because he had not filled out a logbook.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has probaly been kicked around before But......

For a 2011 Diesel F350 SD CC SRW LB w/ a GVWR of 11,400lbs.

What is the purpose of an 10,000lb Pkg. ??????

My dealer didn't seem to know exactly.
I have heard it is just a sticker for DOT purposes.
I have also heard that the computer on the line will automatically select different springs !!

I need the extra payload capacity to pull a 5th wheel.

Thank You

Not sure I understand your question, as posted, but simply put:

The main difference in the GVWR is the Dual Rear wheels, vice the Single rear wheels.

With a DRW, you get more capacity.. due to the 2 additional wheels & tires.. and their weight carrying capability.

The spring sets, are the same SRW~DRW.

If that was your question.

Joe

Last edited:

eZAK61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify,

I have a 2011SD F-350 Diesel, CC, SRW, LB.
According to Ford this set up has a GVWR of 11,400lbs and a payload cap. of 3950lbs.

They also state that "..springs are computer selected according to package ordered"

Now, They have a 10,000lb GVWR pkg (no cost, but I did not order it)
I'm assuming that something would have to change in order for Ford to claim a drop in GVWR.

Very confusing depending on who you talk to.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, Don't know the answer. Could be something to with what nswsparky talks about.. State to State ?

(Here in Cali.. EVERY pick-up, regardless of GVWR.. has to be licensed & &registered as a "Commercial" vehicle, and pay a wieght fee) (no log books.. but still a Ripoff)

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is an exception to that rule, Joe. If the truck is always hauling a camper, it can be a normal license plate and registration. The key word here is Always.

Dave

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why someone would get a F350 with 10,000 gross weight. My 05 F250 has a 10,000 gross so don't understand why someone would want a F350 that is no more capable than my F250. It has to be something with legal requirements for commercial use. At 10,001 pounds gross you aren't required to have a commercial license as long as you don't tow a trailer with a gross weight exceeding 10,000 but you are required to do a log book. I have a friend that shuttles trucks all over the country for the railroads and he has to keep a log book because the trucks are registered as commercial and exceed 10,001 GVW.

I think the only time a CDLC would be required is if you're required to have a hazmat or tank endorsement but the vehicle doesn't meet the 26,001 GVW for a CDLB or CDLA. Even driving a pickup, if the commercial trailer exceeds 10,000 gross you're required to hold a CDLA.

I was actually offered a job a few year ago supporting the fire bomber aircraft and that was the exact situation. Driving a pickup from location to location towing a goose neck trailer loaded with a fuel tank full of jet fuel and other equipment for the aircraft. Since the trailer was registered at 18,000 gross it required a CDLA with hazmat/tanker endorsements. Looking back I wish I had taken the job. It could have been a good time.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an exception to that rule, Joe. If the truck is always hauling a camper, it can be a normal license plate and registration. The key word here is Always.

Dave

I know ;), I just didn't wana 'Go There" :lmao:lmao

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
OK Joe. But many here might not know. BTW I just drove by your general neighborhood. I was on my to Northern California from Death Valley. Boring drive.

Dave :)

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
(Here in Cali.. EVERY pick-up, regardless of GVWR.. has to be licensed & &registered as a "Commercial" vehicle, and pay a weight fee) (no log books.. but still a Ripoff)

Joe
I agree with the RIP-OFF part.

Dave

When one installs a camper it is still removable so how does the DVM determine what 'permanent camper installation' is. I want to install and camper on my truck but don't want to have to pay the extra $200.00 weight fee with it on there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58