Help Needed $1000 to Improve Towing!

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
It surges around 15-20psi and 2000RPM. The truck does not seem to loose power it just sounds like the turbo is going to self distruct. As soon as the truck down shifts the surge goes away and the boost jumps to 25psi. Because of the power delivery and the turbo noise i am convinced it is turbo related. The engine does not surge but the turbo does.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you've got a good list of towing improvement Mods going there, but nothing about an up-graded Exhaust system.... other than the Muffler delete.

JMO but you'd have plenty of Boosted air coming in... but no way of optimizing getting rid of it (?):dunno

Thanks for the reply Joe. I understand your concern about the exhaust. For the time being it will need to remain stock to to budget limitations as well as my low EGT numbers. In the future I plan to go with an 4" mandrel bent system with muffler delete. Im thinking i may skip the ATS housing and spend the $400 on addressing the oil and fule delivery issues. From what i here the wicked wheel does a decent job in reducing surge.

;tu

Yer call but that ATS money would buy a good 4" exhaust for ya.

Apply yer list of new air flow related mods (minus the ATS).. to yer current Mods, bump up yer fuel pressure to 65-70 psi..... then Pump that air out thru a bigger exhaust... and you'd be pulling that 7K trailer around with No Problems.... with a big :D on yer face.

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
;tu

Yer call but that ATS money would buy a good 4" exhaust for ya.

Apply yer list of new air flow related mods (minus the ATS).. to yer current Mods, bump up yer fuel pressure to 65-70 psi..... then Pump that air out thru a bigger exhaust... and you'd be pulling that 7K trailer around with No Problems.... with a big :D on yer face.

Joe

I think I'd start cheap..
you got $1000. to spend and may end up spending it.

Shim the FPR, to bump fuel pressure.
Drop the tank & do the Hutch & harpoon mods (they're in the WIKI) to ensure it's not sucking air into the fuel system..
change your filters

while you're pricing exhausts, don't forget Walker DynoMax systems

other'n that...

dmd

Reaction score
The WW isnt a complete cure, the ATS is. WW usually cures it, but would hate
for you to still have surge after the money spent. Also, WW makes more noise and
I didnt want that.

For 7k towing, all you would need to add is the ATS, trans temp, and the boost
fooler. You have removed the major restriction in the exhaust already. You would
have plenty to do the intank and pre-pump mods too. Expect the SES light to shine
when ever you climb from low HP oil, pretty normal wit the setup. Larger trans
cooler probably is needed with just 7k. I pull 10k and trans stays plenty cool
even in TX. Keep the TC locked and no issues.

This would take care of all the issues, at a low budget. Also, you would cure the
surge for good with less noise.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a 6.0 truck with Hypertech programmer III on tow and chopped up my exhaust system cut the part off the cat. that bolt to the down pipe and put on a 3" to 4" reducer and run strait pipe out with a 45deg. turn out for about $40 bucks using the old hangers. I'm also running 35" tall tires towing a 5 wheel thats about 7K and I am getting 14.6 mpg at 70 mph. My motor is mostly stock, all but the air intake and gauges and I put in a second trans. cooler in front of the rad. my trans. runs under a load at 160 to 165 deg.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6L is way different than a 7.3 engine with complete different issues.

I under stand that, your talking old school and new school. 7.3 with the right set up it can run with good mileage so to speek.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get rid of the fuel dumping off the shelf chip you have and get some custom tunes for towing..the chip you have lies to the PCM making it dump more fuel to make power witch gives you high EGT's....a custom chip doesn't do that..it adjust fuel,air and timing though the PCM code in your truck to make good strong safe HP...it is also a switch on the fly tunes..no pulling over for the big hills to swap tunes..just hit the switch and your in the next tune....you need a good air filter..a cheap way out is the 6637 filter..at least a 4 inch exhaust..as far as the turbo surge..do one or the other,,,the WW will slow surge but flows less air..it still may surge pulling heavy up a steep hill..the ATS is the best answer for surge..but use the stock wheel in the turbo..the stock wheel flows more air giving you cooler EGT's and more power..when they designed the ATS..it was done with the stock wheel in place..also VERY important..if you don't have gauges..get them now..when your pulling loads and mod the motor..egt's and trans temps can rise pretty fast..there also very handy if something goes wrong...

for your SES light under full boost..this will cure that problem
Overboost Annihilator

for the trans..get a good valve body from BTS or john woods..the custom tunes will also helps with line pressure and shift point..talk to your favorite tuner..DP, TW or TS..another way around that is the transgo tugger kit..also the true cool trans cooler is a good idea..

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no way for a diesel to control the AIR RATIO. You just dump in a little fuel, or a little more fuel, or a lot more fuel. The air volume is the same in every stroke. The black smoke is over fueling. Class dismissed!

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14