13mpg with mods... is that as good as it gets??

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel mileage... use to car terminology, not diesel... sorry about that. Anyway... the truck is an '04 F-350 super crew short bed. It is not a dually. The truck has a 4" Pro Comp lift... and 35x12.5 Pro Comp tires. It has the stock gearing which I believe is a factory upgrade at 3.73.

The cat has been deleted from the exhaust as well.

My buddies truck has almost identical upgrades and he is producing the 18mpg... but his is a manual.

Thank you for the responses... they are appreciated!

Crew cab not super crew..

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 03 6.0 with a 4" turbo back split to duals and cat delete all from mbrp, the only other thing i have ever used is a hypertech programmer with 3 stages, i pretty much only used stage 3 which was 100hp and like 190 or 200 ft/lbs, i would get between 16-18 driving short distances around town and avg 22-26 hghwy, i even got 32 driving from cincinnati to gatlinburg at 68mph cruised controlled and 28 back driving the same!! i run 285/75r16 bfg all terrains and it's a supercrew short bed lariat, so it's not the lightest model either... maybe something isn't right, but i don't know where u should start, maybe get a code reader, u might have issues that aren't lighting ur check engine, that happened to me when i forgot to tighten a clamp on my boost tube, and it blew loose on the highway, i couldn't drive over 30mph and i was dumping fuel bad!!!....:dunno

BS!!! No way in hell you got 32 mpg... sorry.:dizzy

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Try running your programmer on a lower setting. What is the HP rating on the performance setting of your chip? Try a tow tune or something to that effect.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
i have a 03 6.0 with a 4" turbo back split to duals and cat delete all from mbrp, the only other thing i have ever used is a hypertech programmer with 3 stages, i pretty much only used stage 3 which was 100hp and like 190 or 200 ft/lbs, i would get between 16-18 driving short distances around town and avg 22-26 hghwy, i even got 32 driving from cincinnati to gatlinburg at 68mph cruised controlled and 28 back driving the same!! i run 285/75r16 bfg all terrains and it's a supercrew short bed lariat, so it's not the lightest model either... maybe something isn't right, but i don't know where u should start, maybe get a code reader, u might have issues that aren't lighting ur check engine, that happened to me when i forgot to tighten a clamp on my boost tube, and it blew loose on the highway, i couldn't drive over 30mph and i was dumping fuel bad!!!....:dunno

I'm going to assume you got those numbers from the overhead console aka. the lieometer. It is VERY innacurate, especially after using a programmer. The only way to accuratley figure your mileage, is to hand calculate it. Fill the truck up till you can see the fuel (not just foam) then drive it, keeping track of your miles. When you fill up next time, fill fuel to same level, and divide the miles driven by the gallons it took you to fill back up. Now if that's what you claim you're doing and got 32 MPG in you powerstroke, then you are so full of $*** you're eyes must be brown. NEVER gonna happen, sorry. :goodluck

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Just did a 355 mile trip doing 60 to 68mph and got 13.7mpg. Thats about the best my truck ever gets. I've tried two different programers and had the truck reflashed but can't get any better ether. I get 10 or less when I'm towing.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had excellent results with the lie o meter. It is usually within a tenth of a mile.
I just did a trip to the mountains of Arizona yesterday, round trip and averaged 16.8 mpg on cruise control. That is not typical, but were the results this time. I do run 285 18's but have no engine modifications whatsoever.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
The lift, combined with the extra unsprung weight of the big tires, a performance programmer, and a heavy foot are all bringing the mileage down.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Those 35" tires and lift is probably what is killing you.

My 35's are less than an inch taller than the stockers and I just have front leveling springs with stock rear. I know that wider and taller makes a difference but, I have been running them at 65lbs. of air pressure just to reduce rolling resistance. Do you think that the flash strategy has much to do with the mileage. Mine is a VXCF5H5. I do run stock most of the time cuz thats where I get the best mpg.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I have about the same set up as you and the best I have ever gotten is 15 mpg. I usuallty average around 12-14 in town......depending on how heavy my foot is!!! :burnit

I have a Bullydog programmer and I have it set on economy for around town.

As for 32 mpg in a Superduty...........I guess I really don't even have a response to that other than......maybe when monkeys fly out of my butt!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl