1K Clamp Mod

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know i'm asking too many questions and stupid ones at that so I apologize; but let me make sure i've got this all correct. I take the 1K resistor and solder that to the 3 diodes. (diodes have grey band on right side and resistor at the end of the chain on the left). I then cut a section out of my blue/green wire and replace the section with the 5.6K resistor. Then solder the end of the 1K resistor not connected to the diode to the end of the 5.6K resistor opposite the plug. Finally solder a length of wire to the other end of the chain of diodes, connect that to a SPST switch, and ground the other terminal of the switch?

ps. thanks again for all your help and sorry bbressler!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've almost got it.

I'd just add to send the other end of the diode chain to the switch and BACK to the ICP plug and connect it in the with gray/red wire. I think if you just ground it, there may be a possibility it would react funny.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds great, i was just going from what the op said..."You may also add a Clamp/Stock switch instead. If so, attach a length of wire to the end diode and run it thru the firewall to an SPST switch in the cab. (I’ve seen “customer use” wires dead-ended under the dash and hood that could be used.) Connect the other switch terminal to a frame ground under the dash."

JRJ04

Reaction score
are there kits sold to do this mod or do you just buy the parts you need at a hardware store?

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I hooked everything up, what a PITA! And to top it all off the damn thing isn't workin right. The idle is REAL rough, the service engine light comes on, and whenever I get up to about 2k it damn near dies. Oh yeah and I made the mistake of shutting it off and trying to restart, that took a while. Any ideas?
Thanks!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your CEL light shouldn't be on. If you turn your key to on, but not start, does the light come on and then go right out (normal operation)? Or does it stay on?

The .BMP file I attached a few posts up...does your assembly look like that? Using the diagram, where did you solder the red, black & yellow wires?

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light cycles like it should but then comes on after the truck has been running for a few minutes then stays on. I'm not positive about the .BMP file but I soldered the diode end of the chain to a wire connected to a switch, the resistor end of the chain to the 5.6k resistor which is soldered to the blue/green wire, and ran a wire from the other terminal on the switch to the grey/red wire.
Thanks!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but I soldered the diode end of the chain to a wire connected to a switch, the resistor end of the chain to the 5.6k resistor which is soldered to the blue/green wire, and ran a wire from the other terminal on the switch to the grey/red wire.

Which end of the 5.6k resistor did you solder the 1k resistor to? Other than the rough idle, will it set the CEL light just sitting there, or does it wait until you start driving?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14