2 Stroke Oil Works!!!

JRJ04

Reaction score
After reading through this thread im kinda confused. is it good to add 2 cycle motor oil (and if so what kind and how much) to each tank and also a cetane booster? Can you ever add too much of a cetane booster? I had a 32 oz. bottle and it says taht if you want to raise the cetane level 6 numbers, half of that bottle will treat 50 gal? Will it hurt to put all of it? Please clarify.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No it won't hurt, but you run into dimensioning returns, and you won't get much more after the half of a bottle. Stick with what they recommend.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
what about adding 2 cycle motor oil? what kind and how much?

yeah, that's what we're saying. 2 cycle oil, spec TC-W3 (it will be listed on the back of the container)... The ratio is like 128:1, which is basically 1qt per 30 gallons fuel. Any more than that, and you decrease the fuel's cetane rating.

Improves lubricity of the ULSD fuel now mandated for 2008 highway diesel engines. I wouldn't run this concoction in an '08, as it will add to the particulate emissions of the engine.

However, your 7.3L was designed to run on 1500ppm sulfur, which provided more lubricating properties in the fuel itself.

I started running it, then added a cetane booster, and my fuel economy improved quite a bit.

I've since gone to B20 bio (bio diesel has greater lubricating property than pure petroleum ULSD) with a cetane booster, and my mileage has continued to improve. I was getting in the high 12's when this little experiment started, now the truck is getting in the low 15's pretty consistently.

JRJ04

Reaction score
JL, I appreciate the clarification. im gonna start doing that and ill let you know how it all comes out!

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it safe for the 6.0?

Good question... I don't see an answer for it here, so maybe someone in the know can clarify this for the 6.0s too.

I'm also curious about the affect TCW3 would have (if any) on the 6.0 fuel filters & cat converters??

THANKS!! Great thread here!

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Good question... I don't see an answer for it here, so maybe someone in the know can clarify this for the 6.0s too.

I'm also curious about the affect TCW3 would have (if any) on the 6.0 fuel filters & cat converters??

THANKS!! Great thread here!

If I remember right, we decided the 6.0 was designed to run on the ULSD, so the chainsaw oil wasn't needed.

If you want to try it, however, since diesel fuel is oil, and TCW3 is oil, the fuel filter SHOULD be unaffected.

The cat, however...

well, I dunno... a lot of 7.3's have cats, and they were designed to run on higher sulphur contents (it's a bear to type with one hand while drinking a cup of coffee, I hope to tell ya)... I might reduce the concentration by about a third (thinking S1500 vs S550 fuel is basically 1/3)... in which case you'd be using 1 ounce of outboard oil per three gallons of fuel...

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not convinced

that fuel additives helped me either with smoother running or increased fuel economy. I've tried Howes and CP with and without cetane boost and I couldn't see any benefits....it just added about $4 a day to my operating costs. Just my $0.02

Be well!

pacman99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Like to pipe in on the 2 cycle oil. My sone uses it in his 7.3 PSD and I in my Cummins, both saw an improvement in milage and run quiter. We've been doing it for about a year total, I had a 7.3 PSD and used it in it prior to the cow walking out in front of me. I was getting 18 and 19 in the CTD and now get 21 combined city Highway and 24 if I keep it around 70 on the highway, I love it!!!!!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14