Help Needed 200 7.3L alternator replacement = spedometer problem???

gilmomoney

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hi All,

my wife was driving home the other day when the truck died on her. she had previously gotten a jump start to get going. ended up having it towed home on a flatbed towtruck. it's an f350, LWB, SRW, 7.3L, crew cab, XL model.

i took the alternator off, had it tested (it was bad), and put a NAPA rebuild on it.

she also said when it happened, all of the gauges pegged, including the spedometer needle (pegged all the way clockwise).

truck has since started up and run fine, except for the spedometer needle has remained pegged.

i checked all the fuses in both boxes...one each was blown: radio fuse, and the laptop port fuse.

any ideas on what else could be wrong? i've seen other posts describing the speed sensor, but this just seems odd.

thanks in advance for the help!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Maybe the alternator surged as it went out, causing the blown fuses. The speedo is on a fuse somewhere. Maybe the "gauges" fuse. I hope it is not blown. Is the speedo reading 0 mph with the key off? Or is it reading all the way to the right??

Dave :dunno

gilmomoney

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info Dave, i'll look again for another fuse.

the Speedo's all the way pegged to the right, with the key on or off or truck running. it never moves, which makes me think it's a power issue to the speedo circuit.

thanks,

mike

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Interesting. When you disconnected the battery did the needle remained pegged? If so I would try to see if you cant get it maybe un stuck?

gilmomoney

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
all,

thanks for the help. the problem has seemed to resolve itself. fortunately i live in the great state of perpetual road construction (colorado) and after going through enough bumps, twists, and jolts, i noticed the needle finally back in its position...took about 200 miles though, so it must have been real stuck.

fortunately, this happened right before i was about to pull the cluster, so good timing.

thanks again!

mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58