Question 2000 7.3 fuel system issue

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 7.3 liter and it was not starting. I changed the fuel filter (of course I had to depressurize the fuel system when I did this) and the truck started right up.

I drove it, shut it off and it wouldnt start again. I popped the hood, depressurized the fuel system and it fired right up again.

question, do I have a fuel pump issue? If so, why does it only start when the fuel system is under no pressure???

Thanks guys
Chad

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is maybe somehow your getting air into the fuel system and relieving the pressure lets the air out?? :dunno I don't know, it's a stab in the dark.

on edit: I think I'd take the top off the fuel filter housing and look for anything that may be floating around in there.

Last edited:

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
i would check the regulator or see what kind of fuel pressure you are getting when it does start and when the no start problem occurs, that might help get ya pointed in the right direction

csarver

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas.

This is definetly the issue. Ive taken the truck out a couple more times now and sure enough, it will not start until I depressurize the fuel system. Then it starts immediately.

If anyone has any info on how to check for air in the line and fix this issue if it is found that would be appreciated. I will also check on the regulator (currently not familar with this)

I will report back.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you taken the truck for a 50+ mile drive to see if this will clear up for you.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You know, it sounds like you are sucking air into the fuel system from down stream (toward the fuel tank). There should be NO AIR in the fuel system. Have you gone over the entire fuel system looking for leaks/drips in all of the lines and hoses??

Dave :dunno

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you need to put a fuel pressure gauge on this to diagnose any further..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14