2000 7.3 Wont start

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Hello My cousin"s Truck is dead in the Water. Had it in the Shop last week for a charging Problem. They put a Alt. and battery in It. He drove it today about 120 Miles on the way Home Just Quit , Got it started drove about a mile Died again had to have Towed unloaded it started back up. I the CPS goes out dont they just quit. He is in Denver and cant anyone with a Code checker that will work on it. Any Ideas would be A help. Asked a auto parts Kid about a CPS and they quoted him 205.00 I am in Houston and can buy them for about 85.00 bucks here. I know on Ebay even cheaper yet. But he Needs hi truck Thanks Scott

Reaction score
It does sound like the CPS. The CPS can just quit, or it might cut in and out for a while as it's "going out".
If he's dead in the water, I would go ahead get him one. Sounds like you can buy one and overnight it, cheaper that what he was quoted.:eek:
For $100, it's worth it. Worse case, he'll have a spare.:sweet

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
My cps cut in and out like his is doing. Since it's a 2000 have him check to see if the tach is bouncing when he tries to start it. If not it's the cps. Some auto part stores have lifetime cps's, so have him buy one of those, and then buy a cheap one on ebay for the glove box. The cheap one will get him back to the autoparts store for his free replacement.

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Thanks Guys I did have him check the tach nad when it wouldnt start says It move but not much, I told him I thought it should bounce up to like 300 or 400 . Is this correct? hanks again for your quick reponce Scatrlet and whatabudro Scott

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Thanks I just think he is seeeing the gauges jump when he turns the Key but not really the Tack moving Scott

dpantazis

Reaction score
others smarter than me kicked in on the cps. other things to check while he is at it to eliminate the st00pid thigns-

oil level- if its too low on oil, then it won;t fire. its a feature not a bug.

batteries- did they replace BOTH batteries? #2 usually goes out after #1. might not have just enough juice.

dennis
mod party of 1

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
I agree with the general concensus that it is a CPS.

However, if that does not work, here are a couple other things to check...

Fuel heater fuse - I'll be darned if i can remember the number of the fuse, but it is a maxi-fuse under the hood. It pops when the fuel heater shorts out and you get a no-start.

Voltage - Possibly they installed a bad battery? Or they only replaced ONE? If so, then batteries may not be making enough juice to fire injectors, and you get no start.

Glow plug relay - If the truck starts harder when it is "cold iron" then it may be a glow plug relay. Especially if when it does fire up it smokes white like crazy. Probably not the case here, since it is summer still, but still possible...

Oil level - She won't start if she's too low. Give it a check

Lift pump - Listen for the pump whirring under your feet when you turn the key on. If you can't hear it, or it is not operating, then that may be your problem.

I guess that about covers it....+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58