2001 7.3 smoking blue, the whole time its running

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
ok if it is the blow by

what needs to be done? new rings and piston, bore out block like on a gas motor? the thing with me is why dosnt this thing smoke at higher rpms? i would think that the more boost and load you put on it the moer blow by would result? im thinkin mabey sticking valve and its throwin to much fuel in at idle or low speeds? lets hear what you guys think it is. but then again it is burning oil so i dont know?
where do i buy a rebuild kit?

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
what needs to be done? new rings and piston, bore out block like on a gas motor? the thing with me is why dosnt this thing smoke at higher rpms? i would think that the more boost and load you put on it the moer blow by would result? im thinkin mabey sticking valve and its throwin to much fuel in at idle or low speeds? lets hear what you guys think it is. but then again it is burning oil so i dont know?
where do i buy a rebuild kit?

To me sound like the engine is toast, get a rebuild or one from a
low miles wreak.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in a diesel yes are getting more blow by at higher rpm with more boost but at the same time you're generating more heat in the cylinder and burning the contaminants completely.

All of the extra that you're pushing out past leaking rings is going into the crank case vent system which is plumbed to the intake pre-turbo.

To fix the problem it is internal engines and it could be as simple as a ring job or as complicated as a bore with oversized pistons, and a complete rebuild. That answer is unknown until you get inside and take the measurements.

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Blue smoke PSD

I am having a similar problem but no smoke going down the road. It smokes pretty bad when I start it up. If it's been shut off for more than 6 hours it smokes for about 5 minutes at idle regardless of outside temperature. I just did the orings and injectors. The truck runs a little better but still smokes on start up.
I know I need to check my fuel filter for contamanation next. I had the turbo out and put on a wicked wheel no sign of any problems there. I do have a good amount of blow buy. Is there anything else to check?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
a cold diesel will always smoke, there is no way around it. how much smoke is coming out of the tailpipe after you run it down the highway for a few miles?

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Blue smoke PSD

No this is not just start up smoke. I own a lot of diesels this is abnormal. The smoke compleatly goes away in 5 min or less before it even gets all the way up to tempture. My queastion is unless I have defective new o-rings and no leakes in the turbo what else it could be???

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
valve seals, or piston rings. a compression test will tell you how the rings are sealing. valve seals are tough to diagnose, but the way you describe the smoke i would say its low compression.

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my engine rebuilt and you should have seen the valves, I will try to get pictures of them in the next couple of days. The edges where the valve seats set against the valve was almost down to a KNIFE edge and some of them had chips off of the edge. Got the whole thing done, new pistons rings, valves, springs, oil rings, new hi pressure pump, injectors checked and new O rings and other goodies and now it is up and running. No smoke yet. Before I was burning about 1 quart of oil every 125-150 miles. No leaks at all under the truck. It could be parked for a week in the same spot and nothing dripped.

jbuller

2001 4x4 powerstroke
Reaction score
compression test how to tell if its the rings or valves

one more questoin, if you were to do a compression test and you had bad valves like one that wasnt sealing properly wouldnt you get a low compression reading when you did the compression test just like you would when you have worn out rings?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes if you have valves that are not seating then you will have compression problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58