2001 F250 7.3 Performance upgrade advice

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they have you covered. You are going to want to up grade your tranny cooler. I tow a 40ft goose neck every now and then and running down the road the tranny shows temps that are pretty high. Not dangerous high but high enough to have to keep an eye on that gauge more. Also and intercooler will help with the EGT's along with exhaust. Good luck you have a good engine to work with

broncobilly

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello to all
I was reading over this subject. I drive a 2000 ford f-250 7.3l. I have a question- I have never heard of tymar, until now. What about s&b cold air intake or valent cold air intakes and the others? I heard couple of bad designs from afe and think that they have fixed the issues. It looks like tymar is an open filter system and it pulls the air from the engine department. I use my truck on the ranch. I pull hay and my tractor, so I need to minimize the dirt getting into my air filter. So what cold air system would be the best?
Thanks

jortega

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello to all
I was reading over this subject. I drive a 2000 ford f-250 7.3l. I have a question- I have never heard of tymar, until now. What about s&b cold air intake or valent cold air intakes and the others? I heard couple of bad designs from afe and think that they have fixed the issues. It looks like tymar is an open filter system and it pulls the air from the engine department. I use my truck on the ranch. I pull hay and my tractor, so I need to minimize the dirt getting into my air filter. So what cold air system would be the best?
Thanks
I have the AirRaid cold air intake and it works great. I noticed a decent difference from when the truck was stock. I now have added a 4" Stainless exhaust all the way from the turbo back and have programmed the truck with a Hypertech tuner stage 3, and holly cow!!!!!!!! I dont know why I never did this sooner. The power difference is unbelievable!

jortega

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they have you covered. You are going to want to up grade your tranny cooler. I tow a 40ft goose neck every now and then and running down the road the tranny shows temps that are pretty high. Not dangerous high but high enough to have to keep an eye on that gauge more. Also and intercooler will help with the EGT's along with exhaust. Good luck you have a good engine to work with

What is your tranny temp when you are not towing? My gauge or sensor may not be working properly...Thanks

NVJAY775

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
4" downpipe and exhaust. Tony Wildman chip (I love mine) Excellent engine and trans programming. In my opinion, I would at least get a solid converter and valve body before you do any tuning. I know a lot of guys have had no trouble with mild tuning like you are looking for. But I haven't had that kind of luck with any of our (hard working) trucks. Just my .02

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Racinghcr-2001 F-350 PSD Supercab

This is my first attempt at responding to fellow Ford 7.3L PSD owners-not sure how to navigate to site effectively yet. Here goes -We pull a 37 ft. Designer Fiver that weighs approx 14.500lbs. We pulled from Indiana to Fla. Keys for 7 consecutive years with zero problems,and each year I try to upgrade fuel efficiency and performance WITHOUT overpowering/torquing my drive train. I like "Free" power changes that are easy & enhance my F-350 without spending a lot of money or having any drawbacks or REFIXES. I have removed the muffler,installed a K&N Air filter,installed a (4.5 extra qt.) Hughes Tranny Pan,drilled out the opening beside to headlight to gain a ram air into the intake snorkle,added an AirGate tailgate ,and these gains have added some HP(not sure how much?),and gained approx. 2 mpg. I average 22.8 mpg(65-68 mph) on road unloaded ,and 13.2to 14mpg pulling the Fver. I see readers making these changes:EBPV,AIH,and Foil deletes-please tell me what these are, and if they are worth it? How about a 4-5" complete (straight pipe) exhaust(best brand?)and AFE air intake? Thanks for th help, Harry;tu

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
EBPV- Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. a lot of guys like to "gut" the turbo housing. it allows the spinning exhaust to keep spinning as it exits, for smooth flow. with the butterfly valve in there, the spinning exhaust SLAMS into the butterfly and causes resistance within the exhaust system.

the superduty's have an Air Intake Heater, that restricts the intake flow to the turbo. guys take it out and plug the hole. this is the AIH delete.

im not familiar with the foil delete, but someone will chime in and fill you in on that.

DP tuner can hook you up with a sweet chip that will help you gain more RELIABLE AND SAFE towing power, wich will help with the MPG's as well.

welcome to the site!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
95 Stroker-first time on this site! Can you suggest any fuel/performance mods for my 2001 7.3 PSD for pulling a 37 ft fifthwheel? I posted this morning & not sure if I got through? Got several questions on that post--thanks if you can help! Harry

First things first, you need to let the engine breathe easier so going with an aftermarket intake (several to choose from such as AFE, TYMAR, or a do-it-yourself version), open up the exhaust with a bigger down pipe and a 4" exhaust. Set yourself up with some gauges (egt and boost), look into adding some fuel by a number of means like the FPR shim, 10K mod or bigger injectors and from there forward you need programming help via a chip or a custom tuned PCM from DPtuner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58