2005 6.0 diesel wont stay running

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks DaveBen for the explanation of gelling. Makes perfect sense now. I had planned on taking the truck to a shop today, but ending up having to shovel the fresh powder. 14" so far with more snow on the way. Great weather for my snowboarding addiction, but without a truck to get me to the lift, I'm stuck shoveling it instead.

I guess I should've said that the 5,000 mile oil change is right from the Ford horse's mouth. 5k for "normal" driving conditions, 3k for "severe duty" conditions, which includes lots-o-dust and/or heavy towing most of the time.

If you're going to use Power Service, the white jug (also available at Wally World) is the one you want for cold weather... it's the anti-gel version of what's in the silver jug.

Also, Power Service makes another product called Diesel 911. It comes in a red jug. This stuff works... the fuel in my semi was gelled up last winter for the first time EVER. Poured that stuff in the tank, and a little more directly into the filter. I stood there and watched this stuff work it's magic. I could actually SEE the gelled fuel returning to a liquid. I carry a jug of that with me in my PSD and in the semi.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I use Howe's anti-gell in my diesels and haven't had gelling issues. You can find it and Power service at truck stops most anywhere. I carry the 911 with me in the winter too. If your truck starts to feel slugish in real cold weather you can stop and dump some in right away instead of being dead on the road. It is for emergency use not every day use.

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice on this problem.

Question about gelling...if the truck starts fine in the am, when its the coldest right now, would that still be a gelling issue. The problem seems to be after its ran for 15-30 minutes driving then shut down, it won't idle properly when re-started.

I apologize for asking so many questions about gelling, I just don't anything about this problem. :dunno

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I know of several trucks that started up last year on cold mornings and never made it 5 miles before gelling up. It might not be your problem but if you weren't running blended fuel or an antigell additive give them a chance with a new set of filters.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice on this problem.

Question about gelling...if the truck starts fine in the am, when its the coldest right now, would that still be a gelling issue. The problem seems to be after its ran for 15-30 minutes driving then shut down, it won't idle properly when re-started.

I apologize for asking so many questions about gelling, I just don't anything about this problem. :dunno

I know of several trucks that started up last year on cold mornings and never made it 5 miles before gelling up. It might not be your problem but if you weren't running blended fuel or an anti gel additive give them a chance with a new set of filters.

ADV BUM,

What f100 said, and you might want to change your fuel filters, then treat your fuel with anti-gell.. for the rest of the Winter ?

In COLD weather, even after a successful start-up.. as you drive in Ice & Snow, the ice & snow can build up in the frame rails (where the fuel lines are).. and cause gelling.. miles down the road. Not to mention Wind Chill effects.

When/if gelling has occurred, particles and waxes come out of suspension and collect on the filter mediums. Even after a warm up, or treatment.. those contaminants are still there.

A new set of filters.. and some anti-gel is in order ????

:dunno

Joe

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna try the anti-gelling stuff and new fuel filters that alot of guys are suggesting and see if that works. I never thought of the gelling issue along the frame from all the snow and ice spray. Thanks for that enlightenment BIG JOE.

ADV BUM

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Well, I tried the ant-gelling stuff and two new fuel filters and no positive reaction from my truck. It still ran the same way. So after the busy week, we all know as Christmas, I got the truck to the dealership. At first, they could not find a problem, no DTC codes. So while it was there I had them replace a solenoid on the transfer case, while doing this they stated the truck was acting as I described. They stated they would do some diagnostics on it (at $92 an hour :rant)

Got a call saying my #2 injector was going out and my ICP was shot. I am gonna pick it up and have a friend whom is a old Ford diesel mechanic do the work for much cheaper :clap:.

I will continue to use the anti-gelling additive as you guess suggested and am curious if anyone has heard of hotshot additive that supposedly cleans the injectors? It maybe too late for my #2 injector, but if I can keep the other ones in tip top shape, maybe I'll have some money left over for some 6.0 bulletproofing!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the hotshot in my 6.0 and it fixed my injector problem for 2 years. Then I needed to replace them. But it does work. You'll see a change almost right away in start up.

Last edited:

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little late here but i thought i would chime in with a smart ace remark....lol...
move south, we dont gel up!! lol :tounge glad you got your problem fixed though!!:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58