2005 Heater Problem

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Vacumn leak? Blend door for cab air stuck? Can you switch from defrost to vents,floor,etc, and it all works properly?

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
First of all Welcome to SDD.

I have a 2003 and am not sure it 05 is the same but when My heater stopped working I had to cycle the heater valve because it got stuck from being closed most of the time. My valve looks like the picture (right) and I had to manually move the valve back and forth to get it open. I had to run the heater for a good bit of time to get the fluid to cycle through the heater core itself.

As for your thermostat, I am not sure if I am reading correctly. Did you say that your temp gauge does not move at all?? (cold or hot)??

If you are not overheating the stat is not sticking closed, If it take forever for your engine to come up to temp the it might be stuck opened. This is not the norm, usually if a stat fails it fails closed.

Try checking the heater valve first. You might have to remove the hose from the outlet side of the core to insure proper fluid flow. Heater could be blocked.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just a question are you trying to get heat from the vents in the max AC position? If that's the case you'll never get heat because max ac closes off the heater valve and doesn't allow the coolant to enter the heater core.

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think DaveBen is probably right. It sounds like you heater core may be stopped up. I had a similar problem with my truck a year ago and wound up flushing the coolant system. I flushed a lot of "dirt" from the system and after replacing the coolant and distilled water the heater worked like a champ.

tommycomfort

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think DaveBen is probably right. It sounds like you heater core may be stopped up. I had a similar problem with my truck a year ago and wound up flushing the coolant system. I flushed a lot of "dirt" from the system and after replacing the coolant and distilled water the heater worked like a champ.

Hey guys, Not trying to hijack this thread, but I my 04 F350 6.0 just started doing the exact same thing. Seems like if the coolant system was full of "dirt" it would have lost heat over a period of time, where mine just stopped working. Any thoughts?

Tom

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heater in my truck stopped working abruptly also. If your truck's coolant has never been flushed there is a good chance this is, at least, part of the problem. I am not an expert on these engines but from everything I have read there is casting sand that is left from the engine's manufacture. The heater core is a prime place for anything that can "settle out" of the coolant mixture to do so.

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
I bought a grill cover for those teens to below zero temps... My heater works great until it gets that cold.... Then no cabin heat...none...zippo.... put the cover on and aaaaahhhhhhhhh...HEAT! Do i have a problem too or is that the nature of the diesel beast?

Blowin Smoke

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Last year mine qiut working and after some trouble shooting I found it was the thermostat controller. Replaced it and voilla, Heat!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58