2005 Heater Problem

Matt24601

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My first post on the forum. Let me start by admitting that I am completely new to the world of diesels. I've been a Jeep owner of one kind or another for the past 15 years. I purchased an '05 F350 4x4 DRW a few months ago. It seemed in good shape and I got a good price on it with its 70000 miles. What I failed to check out was the heater.

Here we are now in January and I am wishing I had been a little more diligent with my examination. I popped the hood to run a few checks of my own and realized that I didn't have any idea of what I was looking at. Between the intercooler, the turbo, and all of the unfamiliar hoses, I don't know where to begin.

I wanted to check out the heater hose coming out of the thermostat to see if the thermostat was letting through the warmed water. The heater in the cab blows air well enough, it's just cold air. If someone could direct me to an engine diagram, or hose diagram I would greatly appreciate it.

Any other suggestions? Any known issues with the year and model? Again, I'd appreciate all helpful suggestions.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to check out the heater hose coming out of the thermostat to see if the thermostat was letting through the warmed water. The heater in the cab blows air well enough, it's just cold air. If someone could direct me to an engine diagram, or hose diagram I would greatly appreciate it.

Any other suggestions? Any known issues with the year and model? Again, I'd appreciate all helpful suggestions.

First.. WELCOME to SDD ;tu

No diagram but you should be able to see/find the 2 heater hoses on the passenger side firewall, where they go in to, and out of, the heater core.

Off the top ? your thermostat may be stuck. Does the Temp gauge read in the middle area of the Normal scale ?

Joe

Matt24601

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright, let's say I want to take a peak at or replace the thermostat. Is this a straight forward enough process?

I've replaced water pumps and thermostats before (Bronco and CJ7), but there was a lot more open space in there, and a lot less hardware.

I've always ended up buying the specific vehicle book from Chilton or Haynes. Is there a preferred manual for the Ford Powerstroke?

Thanks for all of the help so far.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score

Matt24601

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update: The thermostat has been replaced and is in good order. Temp gauge starts out cold and warms up to somewhere right in the middle. Bad news is that there is still no hot air from the heater.

Heater core? Electrical Issue?

If I can I'd like to try and fix it myself before the end of the weekend, but if I can't get it solved I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it in.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,
Do you have the manual or automatic climate control? I have the auto and to get it to really crank out the heat like I would expect I have to set it at like 80 or 85...... it is set it as 75 it is warm and comfortable, but the air feels cool that is coming from the vents.....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What does the coolant look like? If it is dirty brown, you need to flush the radiator and replace the coolant/water with a 50/50 mix coolant (GOLD ONLY) and distilled water.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58