2006 F250 blinker problems

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy -

I've had a 2006 F250 for about 6 months now. Last week, I noticed an issue with the right hand blinker... the sound was there and normal, but the light on the dash was not coming on. I took note, but it worked normally the rest of the drive. Today, I noticed it again. Sometimes it worked normal, others it was acting up. When I got home, I got it to reproduce the problem. When you use the lane change feature (holding the lever with the blinker on), it works fine (all lights blink). When you click it all the way up though, it acts up.

My first thought was a blown bulb, but all of the bulbs seem to be fine as they all blink when the dash light blinks. When it acts up though, the dash light doesn't blink, and neither do the front or mirror signals. The back blinker blinks very quickly though. The 'clicker' (sound mechanism) sounds normal, no matter if the blinkers are working or not.

Thoughts? I think i'll go ahead and replace the bulbs just to be sure, but I have my doubts as to whether those are the problem or not. If they aren't, could it be a bad switch? Anyone ever replaced one of these? What else could be causing this issue?

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thought.... I had my fingers crossed when I tried it, but no luck. I'm thinking that maybe there is a short in the switch? If it were in the wires (at the tail lights, for instance), it should act funny anytime you try to use it. This one only acts up when you push it all the way up... the lane change feature works fine.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The turn signal switch mounts on the side of the steering column, not on/in it. You can remove the turn signal switch without having to remove the steering wheel. The clock spring has no function with the turn signals.

If you are trouble shooting ANY turn signal problem, first pull the steering column covers off and make dang sure the electrical plug is not is not coming out of the turn signal switch!! Trust me on this one, I've been down that "turn signal problems" road, SEE HERE.

Last edited:

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that would be the case. I've replaced the switch in my '86 Chevy before and it's a real pain to take the whole column apart. I may take the covers off tomorrow and take a look inside to see what is going on.

Thanks for the tips.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that would be the case. I've replaced the switch in my '86 Chevy before and it's a real pain to take the whole column apart. I may take the covers off tomorrow and take a look inside to see what is going on.

Thanks for the tips.

Regrets, My long shot didn't work for you. I guess I was just Lucky.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How exactly do you get the ignition switch cover off? Does it just pop off? The column cover won't come off with the key guard still in place.

Reaction score
there's a hole in the bottom of the column you take a pick and stick it up in there with the key in the run position and you'll hit a button and then the cylinder will slide out.

Nother issue with the turn signal arm is it will make your brake lights not work. Guess how i know.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the whole thing slides out as a single unit? Good to know. I'm gonna try and mess around with it tomorrow. I'm hoping it's just a loose connection, but I'm fairly certain the switch is shorting out. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to the Ford dealer for parts...

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$150 and 20 minutes later, I've got a blinker that works. Ford did a good job designing that switch to be easy to remove, but I wish it didn't cost so dern much!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg