Help Needed 2006 Superduty Questions -New owner..

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just purchased an F250 6.0, this is my first Diesel and it os great this far.. Towing power is amazing and just logged 18.5 from pa to Michigan with no mods at all yet..
However I have some questions:

First -I do not see a trip reset button or trip display by odometer? There is a hole in the lexan cover, but looks like there in not one on cluster.. Is this normal?

Is there a way to display hours on engine?

Lastly it only has 57,000 (supposedly) but has a lot of slop in steering...Is this common problom with these?

The truck was a fleet truck from Texas - The bed has been painted, I assume it was pretty beat.. Drives and runs great so far - also geeting good amount of fumes in cab when driving - Do not see any leaks on exhaust, have not checked manifold yet though.

Thanks for any input..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have about 130,000 miles and my steering is good. I did replace the ball joints and one steering arm ball joint. My guess is the ball joints are gone. Check them by jacking up the truck and grab the tire top and bottom and give it a good shake. Loose? Yes = new ball joints.

Dave :)

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Should be a small pin type button coming out the hole you have in the lexan cover just to the right of the odometer. One push gets trip display, hold it in to reset, and second press gets engine hours. Should show in manual. 18.5 is good

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Should be a small pin type button coming out the hole you have in the lexan cover just to the right of the odometer. One push gets trip display, hold it in to reset, and second press gets engine hours. Should show in manual. 18.5 is good

Thank You, There is not one there - nor does it look like there are any holes in the Guage cluster itself just behind the hole.. I am paranoid that someone placed a lower milage cluster in this truck. And this may be one from a truck with the overhead display - I would assume they do not have that on the panel..

Nice drag truck BTW!! Here is a vid of my 6 speed street bird..
9 Second 6 Speed T56 - Cecil - YouTube

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com and good luck on your new to you truck.
Man that is one fast little red car.
Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thank You, There is not one there - nor does it look like there are any holes in the Guage cluster itself just behind the hole.. I am paranoid that someone placed a lower milage cluster in this truck. And this may be one from a truck with the overhead display - I would assume they do not have that on the panel..

Nice drag truck BTW!! Here is a vid of my 6 speed street bird..
9 Second 6 Speed T56 - Cecil - YouTube

Nice Firechicken..
cool vid, too.. that econorailer got a hole shot on ya and you didn't give up.. you kept digging.. win light is definitely on in your lane..

as far as the gauge cluster, it's been out of the truck, no denying that...
knowing that, how many miles does the truck really have on it, is anyone's guess..
but no, the overhead lie-o-meter doesn't have a trip meter.. it's ext. temp, direction, and a pull-it-out-yerass-guess on fuel economy..

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nice Firechicken..
cool vid, too.. that econorailer got a hole shot on ya and you didn't give up.. you kept digging.. win light is definitely on in your lane..

as far as the gauge cluster, it's been out of the truck, no denying that...
knowing that, how many miles does the truck really have on it, is anyone's guess..
but no, the overhead lie-o-meter doesn't have a trip meter.. it's ext. temp, direction, and a pull-it-out-yerass-guess on fuel economy..

Thank You! The rail actually let out, it was test and tune - I assume that was a low 7 second ride. But my street runner does OK, hoping to get a high 8 this year.

So what guage panel would not have a trip/hour pin sticking out? I am with you, I for sure feel it has been changed.. Not sure what to do, bought a Carfax that told me nothing.. It did show the truck was in shop 6 months after purchase and had 10,000 miles at that point, also got new tires in 07..

Truck does run nice, great mileage, Great power - Loose steering and thought last night I could hear a little rear end whine.

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Figured I would post some pics of the truck itself and the cluster in question..Also had a chance to get under truck itself and seem that the lower left tie rod is really loose and assuming is the cause of the slop in steering.

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keeping that car under control must mean u have a few extra limbs than most. The best I ever got with a manual was 9.22, ditched it for an auto and ran 8.7 - 8.8 all day without breaking a sweet. Just shows how slow I was through the gates.

The hole in yr dash is in the wrong spot. Drop this guy an email about yr cluster questions (or find a good dealer willing to look up numbers) Senior Master Technician | Facebook . IF u have time to pull the cluster he can walk u through checking it. Also did you do a dmv search? I know when we worked in Texas the mileage was updated at the inspection center before we went to get a new sticker. The DMV would have the mileage but it may not get reported on the title. Good way to see what mileage was reported to another source.

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank You NBookie, yes it can be a handful at times!! Especially being I still run a single disc street clutch (Spec 3).. It really needs a slipping adjustable clutch, but that is not streetable at all..

Thank you for the reference to Technical master - Sorta scared to email that guy, with a name like "senior technical master" I am not sure I am worthy of speaking to such an individual! I will give him a shot thought, thanks again..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14