2008 Non-Step Tailgate Conversion Write-Up & Pics

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
PART ONE

OK, here it goes. i will try my best to keep it simple. some of the steps are fairly strait forward, if i can do it, then anyone can ;)

First of all here is the parts list of what i had to order that i could not use from my old tailgate, with a picture below the part #.

Part Numbers with Pics

1. Driver's Side Roller (hinge) - 4L3Z83430B39AA
Note: This part is a F150 part number
List Price = 6.83

2. Insert - E7TZ99430B22A
Note: Under this part #, you get the insert and the washer(shim)
List Price =7.58

3. Door Handle - 8L3Z9943400AA
Note: This is also the same handle on the newer F150's
List Price = 28.78

4. Ford Name Plate (Emblem) - 8C3Z1542528A
List Price = 25.12

5. 2008 Tailgate Cap/Moulding - 8C3Z9940602AA
List Price = 30.33

6. 2008 Non-Step Tailgate Assembly - 8C3Z9940700A
Note: The cover that goes over the locking mechanisms is sold seperately
List Price = 305.68 (I paid 229.26 :sly )

OK, thats the parts who will need to order.
I had to order a new cover because the other one was no good, and you can reuse the one from your original tailgate, but here is the part # if you need it.
Cover - 8C3Z9943121A

Now for the install, and please hang in there with me, i believe it will be worth your while. :sweet

First of all, keep the original roller/hinge on the pass. side

Next, install the new roller/hinge on the driver's side, make sure you put it right back where the original one was, unless you need to make adjustments when you have everything together for a better fit.

Along with the 2 steps above, i want to show the matching part on the tailgate that will go into each of the 2 roller/hinges

Driver's Side of Tailgate Assembly

Pass. Side of Tailgate Assembly

Next, I installed the 2008 tailgate handle, the original key cylinder, and the original open/close mechanism from my old tailgate.
Note: It was easier to install the key cylinder after you have the handle in place and before you put the open/close mechanism on.
Note: I found that the original locking clip kept the cylinder in place better than the one that came with the 2008 tailgate handle.

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
PART TWO

Next, screw back in place the long rods that connect to the closure mechanisms on both ends of the tailgate, then bolt on the closure mechanisms and tailgate teathers.
Note: It is easier to install the rods to the closure mechanisms before you bolt the closures to the tailgate

Next, you simply pop the new tailgate cap/moulding into place.

Next, place the new Ford Emblem onto the tailgate. The emblem has guide pins, and just unpeel the plastic of the back and stick it on.

Next, bolt on the cover and if you have a bed liner protector like i do, bolt them both on together.

Finally you are ready to put the new tailgate on your truck.
Note: i had to adjust the closure pins in the pics below. You can see how much i had to move them to get a good alignment.

Final Fit & Finish

Thanks for hangin in there with me, sorry it was so long.

Hope this helps anyone who maybe interested in installing a 2008 Non-Step Tailgate :thumbs

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58