4" Down Pipe HELP

BWard

Auctioneer
Reaction score
I installed my second 4" down pipe from Powerstrokeshop.com. Both down pipes are hitting the engine block as well as the passenger side floor board, making cab noise unbearable. Has anyone else had this problem?? If so what did you do to fix this?
If not whose down pipe did you use or who has the BEST downpipe??
That must be a REAL TIGHT FIT for the 5" Pipes.
Will it hurt the truck to just run a down pipe with no other pipe on until I get this resolved? I need my truck.
Thanks you guy's and girls are the best!!!!

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BWard said:
If so what did you do to fix this?
If not whose down pipe did you use or who has the BEST downpipe??

I went with a turbo-back MBRP exhaust and it fit like a champ with no clearance issues. Admittedly, the 4" DP is a little tight, but there's at least 1/2"-3/4" of clearance at a minimum.

BWard said:
Will it hurt the truck to just run a down pipe with no other pipe on until I get this resolved? I need my truck.

No, but until you get some more exhaust pipe installed, it'll be loud, very loud, and oh-so-stinky...

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove my truck to work (55 miles highway each direction) for three days with the exhaust barely past the cab. The noise in the cab was absolutely horrendous over that distance. I actually had a headache before I got to where I was going. If you're driving a distance, be prepared to a lot of noise and you might want to drive with as many windows open as possible (fumes).

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know of have used a 3.5" downpipe and then a 4" the rest of the way just because of clearance issues...
(your turbo outlet is 3.5" as well....)

Those that have done a 4" downpipe have had to "modify" the pinch weld on the passenger side to allow clearance when the engine torques....
(Modify is defined as BIG crowbar and mucho push to bend it outta the way :))

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was said earlier, the MBRP 4" DP fits well. I had no clearance issues when I did mine.

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I dont understand how any one brand can be any different than any other. 4" is 4" is 4". The geometric layout is not going to be of any significant difference, there aren't really any options are there? Logic seems to dictate that the installation is what will make the difference, not the brand.

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
We installed an MBRP 4" stainless on my '02 and all fit fine. We did need to do a bit of twisting and adjusting the downpipe for clearance underneath. Get someone on the top to help while you are underneath. Leave the clamp loose enough to move the pipe and it should fit fine... assuming the geometry of the pipe is accurate.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
I dont understand how any one brand can be any different than any other. 4" is 4" is 4". The geometric layout is not going to be of any significant difference, there aren't really any options are there?

A poorly bent pipe will be the difference. I watched American Hotrodder where Boyd Coddington did an old Mustang and took it to Magnaflow for the exhaust. They pieced it together, removed it, tacked it all back together then scanned it with a laser or something for their CNC mandrel pipe bender. Fit great! Wonder who bends the pipe for Powerstroke Shop.

My MBRP down pipe hits the starter ear on my tranny but is not anywhere close to hitting the firewall. Kinda close to tranny crossmember bolt. One vendor posted that the only DP that is specially made for the 6spd is the Banks one. All the others are the same kit for both trannies.:dunno

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 4inch downpipe from motoblue fit pretty good, had to clearance it right by the one shackle bolt for some room, little heat and a hammer, other than that it fit nicely, it all depends on how they weld it together or how its bent outta the jig.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14