4 miles to empty

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is 6.0 specific or if it applies to all Super Duty's so I'll stick it in the general discussion forum.

My truck has been sitting in the driveway taking an extended vacation for a couple of reasons, weather has been nice enough that my wife has been driving the Mustang as her DD, I've got a Jeep for my 4x4 needs on my work commute and I havent had the need to haul much of anything for a while now so anyway make a long story short here the SD has been just relaxing that is until today. I've had some shrubs here at the new house that were begging to be gotten rid of and it seemed a great job for the pickup. I wrapped a chain around the closest one, dropped the transfer case in 4low and eased the shrub right on out:sweet. I think it was a Greasewood but Im not certain, I am certain it is gone. Then I had two Junipers that were just over grown and in the way so I wrapped the chain around one of them and my chain wasnt long enough to get to the pickup hitch.:rant The shrubs and Junipers were in a raised bed over a 16" curb so I couldnt just "drive" the pickup up there. So that left me the Polaris ATV and lemme tell you what, pulling 8' tall Junipers out with an ATV is a teeth rattling experience. While I was working with the ATV I had just left the pickup idling as I thought I would be right back in it. The last time the pickup got parked it was low on fuel...... really low....:watchout and I never really noticed it when I pulled the first shrub nor when I decided to leave it idle.

Finally got done screwing around with the landscape removal project and jumped in the pickup to make a dump run and noticed the fuel gauge at a lower position that I have EVER seen it, punched the INFO button and it told me I had 4 miles to empty.:eek: Well, I had a 5 gallon jug of diesel in the garage that I use to run my fired space heater with so I decided to dump it in the pickup so I could at least make it to the gas station. I never did shut the engine off so the fuel gauge didnt reset itself to the newly found 5 gallons in her tummy and I pulled out on the street and the truck started to surge. Plenty of power, idled fine but about every 15 seconds or so the RPMs would drop about 200-300 revs while I was driving. I knew I wasnt out of fuel since I just dumped 5 gallons in so I pulled over and shut her down to see if it would reset the gauge. Nope, no such luck:doh:. So off we went down the street doing 30 mph then 25, then 30 then 25 the 30 then 25.....:lmao. Got to a fuel station and put an additional 10 gallons in it and when I restarted the engine the gauge came up off of "youre on borrowed time" and the truck was not surging any more.

Any of you ever run across something like that before? Fords infinitely wisdomical way of making the operator look at the gauges one last time before he sucks a bunch of tank bottoms into his $60.00 filters?-popcorn

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have never had my truck surge due to low fuel. It just keeps going. I have never run my 6.0 out of fuel, so I can't say that it won't surge if I ever got down to 4 miles to go. I think it might be a GOOD idea to check your filters Mike. I also doubt anything labeled "Fords wisdom".

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Thats what was funny Dave, it wasnt a "out of fuel, sucking air surge". This was definetly a PCM function.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The last time I saw a problem that was associated with fuel levels in the tank, the suction foot on the bottom of the pickup assembly came loose. I was running out of fuel with about 1/4 tank. I did the Hutch mod and fixed it.

FWIW, I wouldn't advertise about neglecting your PSD. PSD protective services may come over, take it and give it to a foster diesel home that will shower it with a more adequate amount of TLC. :tounge:tounge:nudge

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A year or two ago mine got down to 4 or 5 miles to go. It was about half of a mile to the station, as I was pulled up to the pump it did what you are saying yours did, I cut the key off and coasted to the pump and fueled it up. It never did anything again.
But the long beds should have a 38 or 39 gal tank and I have never put more than 33 gal in that truck. Just another one of Fords Better Ideals

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If it is a PCM function I find it strange that adding 5 gallons would not register and reset it after you shut the truck off and turned it back on.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to say about the fuel issues because that has never happened to me but on the note of bushes:
I did the same thing as you a few years ago and ran into the same problem with the chain not being long enough. I didn't have the luxury of a four wheeler on hand so my solution was a nice long ratchet strap, a 20,000 pound military one that I "acquired" over the years. I just crawled under and strapped tight around the base and hooked the other end to the my hitch. No more bushes!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Mike, I doubt it was a programmed in surge.. it would be awfully hard to program that in without damaging something; Turbo, IPR, etc.

that really sounds like an "I'm sucking air" surge and would probably be the result of fuel sloshing back & forth in the tank acrosss the pump pickup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg