4 miles to empty

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like she sucked some air. You may have been closer to "borrowed time" than you thought. Air intrusion could have occurred just before or during your 5gal refill.

Last time mine surged like that was when I forgot to prime the secondary fuel filter when I changed it.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that is news to me...

Dave :dunno

Me too.

I'm think'n you sucked some air in Mike, just before you added the 5 gallons. Luck was on yer side.

You may even get a Buck and a Snort for the next 50 miles, as the system purges air, from here'n there too.

Joe

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been actually seen 0 miles to go in the X. I did not have any surging, but I was afraid I was going to have to push, it went to 0 miles to go as I pulled into the lot of the station. I took 40 gallons to fill a 44 gallon tank. I was running on flat ground and at a steady speed before I pulled into the station, I wonder if Mike's truck was at an angle that was part of the problem. The one thing I have seen in my X is if I fill the truck with the engine off, it takes FOREVER for the new fuel to register on the guage, but if I leave it running it works just fine, I only have to wait till is shut it off and restart it for it to register on the overhead......

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
A year or two ago mine got down to 4 or 5 miles to go. It was about half of a mile to the station, as I was pulled up to the pump it did what you are saying yours did, I cut the key off and coasted to the pump and fueled it up. It never did anything again.
But the long beds should have a 38 or 39 gal tank and I have never put more than 33 gal in that truck. Just another one of Fords Better Ideals

Bingo, that is exactly what mine did, after I fueled up we were off to the races like nothing ever happened.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If it is a PCM function I find it strange that adding 5 gallons would not register and reset it after you shut the truck off and turned it back on.
Me too except, all I did was basically cycle the key. Killed the engine long enough to hit the starter and go again. I should have either A) shut it off when I was pouring in the 5 gallons OR B) let it sit longer than one heartbeat before restarting it after I had noticed the surge.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Me too.

I'm think'n you sucked some air in Mike, just before you added the 5 gallons. Luck was on yer side.

You may even get a Buck and a Snort for the next 50 miles, as the system purges air, from here'n there too.

Joe
I dont think so, I have experienced the sucking air surge before in my 95. Matter if fact when I knew I was going to be changing my injectors I started to run my first tank to failure before I switched tanks so I am quite familiar with the hammering and bucking that goes with sucking air. This was most definetly a PCM function, either cutting injection pressure or altering the signal coming from the throttle switch.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
With five + gallons in the tank?

I'd bet money on it.
The "miles to empty" is a calculation by the overhead Lie-O-Meter.
and in a tank that's three-and-a-half feet long and a foot + wide, five gallons would only cover a couple inches..
oh yeah, that fuel will sieche worse than Lake Michigan after the '64 Anchorage earthquake...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14