Question 4" or 5" exhaust? Any downfall to 5?

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
See a lot of people using 4" here, and reason not to do 5"? or will 4 give all the flow needed?

Thankss for any help... Just purchased 6.0 unmodded at this point..

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
See a lot of people using 4" here, and reason not to do 5"? or will 4 give all the flow needed?

Thankss for any help... Just purchased 6.0 unmodded at this point..

Is this for your 6.0 or 7.3?? I guess no matter what truck you get, 4" is plenty. I would suggest 5" IF you have a highly modded truck with crazy hp. A modded 7.3 or 6.0 really only needs 4". 6" stacks would be the minimum I would put on cause 5" is too small looking IMO. 6" is the perfect size.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
5 will create loss of back pressure creating turbulence making it flow less than the stock 3 1/2. Unless your truck is highly modded, or you live in floored all day long land.

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like 4" will be just fine for some performance gain, good sound and my towing needs while reducing some EGT? Then I will plan to get the MBRP turbo back 4" Muffler or not? I am aiming at muffler..

Has anyone seen any good performance gains with?

Thanks for replies, Not looking to make any big power, I have a drag car for that.. But if I can do some easy mods that make TQ and better mileage why not.. Just plan now to go with programmer, exhaust and better breathing filter/Tube..

Anyone want to recommend a programmer that would be great - Seems that the SCT's are popular from the search I have done..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Be careful with programmers. If you get too aggressive you can blow head gaskets. These engines are known for this weakness. Head studs is the answer, but costly. I run stock and I am happy.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like 4" will be just fine for some performance gain, good sound and my towing needs while reducing some EGT? Then I will plan to get the MBRP turbo back 4" Muffler or not? I am aiming at muffler..

Has anyone seen any good performance gains with?

Thanks for replies, Not looking to make any big power, I have a drag car for that.. But if I can do some easy mods that make TQ and better mileage why not.. Just plan now to go with programmer, exhaust and better breathing filter/Tube..

Anyone want to recommend a programmer that would be great - Seems that the SCT's are popular from the search I have done..

GAUGES first, But, Yep.. a good 4" exhaust, from the turbo back..with Mandrel bends (not crush bends) and a strait=thru muffler.. like a BTM or Magna-flow.. is plenty good..on these PSD's.. with noticable results.

I've had good luck, and satisfaction with Quadzilla products [programmers] ?

Be careful with programmers. If you get too aggressive you can blow head gaskets. These engines are known for this weakness. Head studs is the answer, but costly. I run stock and I am happy.

Dave ;tu

What Dave sez fur shur..;tu

A programmer with a Tow tune, and a Econo tune is plenty good too. Say a 40 or 60 hp tow ? And 80 hp Econo ?

Just another .03 :dunno

Joe

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the help guys! Will certainly install Gages first, I have read planty of the head gasket issues and plan to go with a soft tune as suggested.. I was thinking the same somewhere near 50 hp gain or so and hope for some economy with it as well..

I have filled the truck 3 times now, the first I towed 7200+ lbs for over 100 miles of it and averaged 15.6, the next 2 were 18.5 and 18.7 with about 3/4 of those being highway at 70+ MPH.. I am very pleased with this so far and assume with a tuner and exhaust could get over 20..

If I could bother you all with another question: Why the coolant filter? Clogging issues with these trucks?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I could bother you all with another question: Why the coolant filter? Clogging issues with these trucks?

Ask'n questions is how we learn stuff.. they are Not a Bother. :)

These (any block) engines have, by the casting method used, alot of casting sand left in the coolant passages, as well as the normal build up of scale.. from the coolant(s) we use. Purdy much a given.

A passive type Coolant Filter will, over time and/or miles, filter out all those contaminates.... eliminating the Hot, Cold and Choke points the the cooling system.

As most of use here on SDD would agree.. A Coolant Filter is one of the BEST Preventive Maintenance mods you can do... for the longevity of your engine, Heater Core and Water-pump.

Joe

There's a good write-up on it @ www.dieselsite.com ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58