Question 4" or 5" exhaust? Any downfall to 5?

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and help - Figured the coolant filter was something along those lines, I will add that to my soon list..

One more if you all don't mind for now: My 6.0 is extremely noisy when cold until fully warmed - run OK it seems, maybe a little down on power but a lot of racket.. Would compare it to piston slap like a forged piston will when cold...

I have read some oils will cause or injector going bad.. Any thoughts? What oil should I use? Going to change this weekend to see if it makes a change..

Thanks again for any help and answering new diesel owner questions..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
All diesels make a lot more noise when cold. That is the nature of the beast. For where you are, you might try 5W 40 synthetic oil, like Rotella T. Walmart has it for about $20 per gallon. I run this oil. You can switch to 15W 40 in the summer. Syn oil starts easier and runs smoother.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold engine "Cackle" is typical of most any Diesel, some are noisier than others.. but Oil type & weight can make a difference (?).

Everyone on here has their favorite.. I use 5/40, Rotella-T, Full Synthetic. Seems to be a bit quieter.. cold.

But during a Cold Start/Warm up.. the PCM goes into Cold Engine modes that cuts power in many ways.. until the oil and coolant temps get to about 150* ... Nature of the Beast ?

The primary operating principle of a Diesel is HEAT (?), created by Compression (?)... until the Block, Cylinders, Heads, Coolant and Oil heat up.. It's guna be noisy. ;):)

Joe

Redundent of Daves reply.. but you get the picture ????? :D:lmao:lmao

Last edited:

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cold engine "Cackle" is typical of most any Diesel, some are noisier than others.. but Oil type & weight can make a difference (?).

Everyone on here has their favorite.. I use 5/40, Rotella-T, Full Synthetic. Seems to be a bit quieter.. cold.

But during a Cold Start/Warm up.. the PCM goes into Cold Engine modes that cuts power in many ways.. until the oil and coolant temps get to about 150* ... Nature of the Beast ?

The primary operating principle of a Diesel is HEAT (?), created by Compression (?)... until the Block, Cylinders, Heads, Coolant and Oil heat up.. It's guna be noisy. ;):)

Joe

Redundent of Daves reply.. but you get the picture ????? :D:lmao:lmao

Thank again, You all have been very helpful.. I did assume it was some the nature of a diesel - But got concerned when it seems that it takes quite a while to get quiet, probably a good 10 minutes of driving, once fully warmed is very snooth sounding..

Its great you all have been so understanding of simple questions...

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the mileage you quoted I think I would spend more time on preventive maintenance mods and not mess with a tuner. I have a 4" exhaust, with no restrictions, and really like it. It might affect your mileage because it sounds so good you will be more apt to keep your foot on the skinny pedal!:sly

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With the mileage you quoted I think I would spend more time on preventive maintenance mods and not mess with a tuner. I have a 4" exhaust, with no restrictions, and really like it. It might affect your mileage because it sounds so good you will be more apt to keep your foot on the skinny pedal!:sly

Thanks, Just bought Boost,EGT Gauges finally, coolant filter and flushing this weekend.. Also just bought MBRB 4" TB with no muffler... Think I will be sorry for muffler delete? Is it uncomfortable inside when cruising? I also tow my drag/street car probably 5k combined with trailer, think it will be to loud when towing?

Vids I have seen on you tube sound awesome! Just dont want to be to loud in truck.. Thought?

Love this truck so far!

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the MBRP 4" turbo back off-road with no muffler and I like it. I actually had the muffler on it for a few months before I ordered the delete...I wish I wouldn't have waited so long. I think you will be very happy with it.

Inside, you can hear it, but it isn't bad. Driving normal, you can easily talk over it or listen to the radio. Now, when you start to get on it, it does get to talking, but it sounds good. Mine does get a bit of a exhaust drone at about 70mph, but it still isn't horrible.

I just pulled about 10K today...it's not much louder inside than it is empty.

Straight piped Powerstrokes have a completely different sound than straight piped Cummins. Those things get on my nerves quick when riding in one.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
My 7.3 sounds mean with 4" turbo back and no muffler. You will be happy with it. Yer mpg will go down cause you are gonna have your foot in it all the time haha.

Choaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, feel good about now! This thing is addicting and a PITA.. I have a drag car which is priority and this is the puller, all I want to do is play with the truck now..

PITA part being: Wanted to do a coolant flush last weekend - could not find Cat EC-1 coolant anywhere, so off to international dealer tomorrow.. Nothing easy to find, but well worth it at this point..

Really pumped for the exhaust and gauges to go in this weekend and exhast weekend after being its on back order from summit till 24th..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58