4 Wheel Drive question

Tony Montana

"The BAD Guy"
Reaction score
I just bought a new 06 F-250ps 4x4. My question is proper use of the 4 wheel drive. It has a manual transfer case. The question is on the front hub locks the proper use? Owners manual only says to make sure both wheels are in locked or free position before engaging into 4 wheel drive. I had a few people give me a guess on how it works but I would like to know for sure. So if you know 100% how it works let me know. Thanks

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
both wheels must be locked this engauges the front driveshaft. when locked the front drive shaft will spin even if your in 2hi this causes a loss in mileage. if you have one locked and one free this causes damage when you try to engauge 4x4, if there both free and you try to engauge it just wont work. hope that clears thing up

Tony Montana

"The BAD Guy"
Reaction score
Ok so are you saying I can shift into 4WD w/hubs in free position as long as I am not stuck?:thanks

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
On the "06", You need a full rotation to engage the 4 wheel drive, in the event you can not due to fact your rear wheels are spinning then you would go out and manually put them in the locked pos.

Tony Montana

"The BAD Guy"
Reaction score
Boadie said:
Correct brother!! Happy 4 wheelin :thumbs

Thanks Boadie. I want to think your right cause thats what I thought. I did call Ford and talked to someone in service and they said the locks had to be on or 4WD will not work.:dunno I am gonna go try it to see. Not trying to doubt you but does anyone else reading this agree or not?:thanks

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
yes if not locked you can not engauge 4x4. and thats all there is too it... what broadi is s aying i believe is if you get stuck in the mud, and decide to lock you hubs to try and get out you need to make those front wheels turn one full time before 4x4 will engague. in other words dont get stuck in the mud if your staring to have problem lock the hubs so even if you dont engage 4x4 you will still be able too...

Last edited:

Tony Montana

"The BAD Guy"
Reaction score
oi8228oi said:
yes if not locked you can not engauge 4x4. and thats all there is too it... what broadi is s aying i believe is if you get stuck in the mud, and decide to lock you hubs to try and get out you need to make those front wheels turn one full time before 4x4 will engague. in other words dont get stuck in the mud if your staring to have problem lock the hubs so even if you dont engage 4x4 you will still be able too...

Ok I just went outside and tried it. I had the hubs in the free position and rolled foward less then 5mph put tranny in N and shifted 4x4H and it worked. I had my wife look for front drive shaft spinning and it was. Then I did the same for 4x4L and it worked also. So I guess Boadie said is correct right???:burnit

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i have a ? then. i have never gotten out and locked in my hubs manually before, but, i have shifted on the fly electronically and i know 4hi engaged.

tony, is yours electronic 4X4, or do you have stick for 4hi & low?

i may have already answered my own question, not sure tho.

never mind, just went back to read your first post tony. i get it now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl