4 Wheel Drive question

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I still don't think you have it. The hubs connect the front wheels to the drive line. This by it self is not four wheel drive. You must have the transfercase in 4H or 4L to get four wheel drive. Both the hubs and the transfercase must be engaged to have four wheel drive. Leave one or the other out and you do not have four wheel drive.

Dave

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Jeepers you guys know how to convolute an issue... :eek:

I'll see if I can make it worse.... :roflmao

On the manual shift models, when you shift into 4-hi or 4-lo, the transfer case engages the front dirve shaft and puts power to the front differential and axles. However, without the hubs engaged in teh lock position, the power is not transfered to the front wheels (they still spin free). This allows the use of 2WD lo, for boat ramps and the like, where you don't need 4WD, but the lower range is nice.

For the hubs to engage, you must turn them to "lock". At that point, when the transfer case lever is engaged in either range of 4wd, the front tires will be drive wheels, just like the rears.

Neither one will work without the other. For 4WD to work, you must put BOTH hubs in the lock position (only engaging one WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING like Oi8228oi says, it just won't accomplish anything. The power will be transferred to the unlocked axle, and it will just spin away, like if one tire is off the ground when you'r stuck), and you also must shift the shifter lever into 4WD. Miss one or the other, and you do not have 4WD.

You can lock your hubs, if you are expecting to use 4WD on any given trip, and leave the t-case in 2WD. It will add a small amount of drag in doing so, since the front axles and driveshaft will be turning without any power, but the nice thing is that it makes you shift-on-the-fly to 4WD high range. It never hurt my fuel economy much to do this, and it was worht it to not have to stop and get out when i needed the front wheels to go.

You do not have to stop or go into neutral to shift into 4-hi. I do it at 45 MPH all the time, gears engaged. I just don't have my foot in the throttle when i shift, is all.

You DO have to stop and go into neutral to shift to 4WD Lo.

JUST BECAUSE your front driveline was spinning does not mean you were engaged in 4wd. Engaging the t-case alone will spin the driveline, but the power does not transfer to the wheels because the hubs are disconnected. Engaging the hubs alone will spin the driveline, also, since the wheels spinning are locked to it. However, since the t-case is not engaged, there is no power being transferred.

BOTH hubs and t-case need to be engaged to get 4x4. If you want to test it, engage both, turn the wheel about halfway, and drive forward slowly on dry pavement. The front wheels will fight against each other and you'll feel binding. That is how you know you've got 4x4...

dmjd2003

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have 2006 Ford 4x4 short bed.

On my truck you have lock and Auto Lock!

If you leave it In auto Lock you can just run your 4x4 with the switch on you dash. Just drive below 35 to engage to 4h and put truck In nutral for 4l. That it you dont need to have them In lock at all, leave it at Auto lock! At least thats what the manual saids you have one right?

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Tony,

I am sorry I missed the fact that you said "lock and free" With the lock and free you have to lock em in for 4X4 action.

What I posted was for lock and autolock. I just recently foun out you can still get the manual "Lock and free" hubs.

Tony Montana

"The BAD Guy"
Reaction score
Ok everyone thanks for the help:thanks Hoss 350 you explained it very well. Now one more question someone told me keep in free position , unless in 4 wd or you will be buying $400 bearings:dunno

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Yes, thats correct, except for a long period of non-use of 4X4 you would lock them in every once in a while to get the grease movin around.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Boadie said:
Tony,

I am sorry I missed the fact that you said "lock and free" With the lock and free you have to lock em in for 4X4 action.

What I posted was for lock and autolock. I just recently foun out you can still get the manual "Lock and free" hubs.

Good point. I've got the lock and autolock hubs, and I neglected to regularly manually engage the hubs (just didn't know I had to) and now the front hub selectors are frozen. 4wd still works, but the tires must roll one revolution before engaging the autolock; quite simply, if I get stuck in 2wd, I don't have the option of manually engaging front hubs because the selector is frozen. No biggie....yet.

Tony Montana

"The BAD Guy"
Reaction score
Boadie said:
Yes, thats correct, except for a long period of non-use of 4X4 you would lock them in every once in a while to get the grease movin around.

What about leaving it in lock for a short trip? Would it hurt any thing? I will be pulling a boat and will need 4wd at ramp. Would it be ok to lock hubs when I leave house and unlock when I get home?:thanks

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
You have a brand new truck, not a big deal now. Here, in colorado, nature (snow) allows me to break out the 4hi and never go longer then about 6 months without putting atleast 25 miles locked. I have not had a manual on manual lock hubs since my 88, 7.3 but I sure 25 miles every six or so would be sufficient.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl