4 Wheel Drive question

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I leave mine locked in for months at a time in winter. It won't hurt anything but your mileage.

Dave

scottsxf

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Noise while engaged

I typically would also leave mine locked in in wintery conditions. With this new one, 2006 PSD autohubs, electric switch 4x4, it is somewhat noiser when engaged then my previous 1/2 ton trucks. What is normal? I can here the axle spinning as a whirring noise and also a whiring on acceleration and deacceleration. Most of my 1/2 tons were extremely quiet. It is not real loud but noticeable.

Scott

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Tony Montana said:
Ok everyone thanks for the help:thanks Hoss 350 you explained it very well. Now one more question someone told me keep in free position , unless in 4 wd or you will be buying $400 bearings:dunno
False. The bearings have nothing to do with the lockup of the hubs. Bearings spin either way, locked or unlocked. Locking your hubs won't wear anything out any faster....

ETA: I think Boadie misunderstood your question. He is not saying that driving around locked up will hurt anything, he is saying that is is a good idea to lock your hubs every six months or so to get things turning and lubed up for about 25 miles or so. Driving around with your hubs locked won't hurt a thing but fuel mileage (and at that only a marginal amount...)

Last edited:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
scottsxf said:
I typically would also leave mine locked in in wintery conditions. With this new one, 2006 PSD autohubs, electric switch 4x4, it is somewhat noiser when engaged then my previous 1/2 ton trucks. What is normal? I can here the axle spinning as a whirring noise and also a whiring on acceleration and deacceleration. Most of my 1/2 tons were extremely quiet. It is not real loud but noticeable.

Scott
Probably normal, but hard to say without hearing it. Keep in mind that you are spinning an entire differential, axles, and carriers in teh T-case that you are not used to hearing. You can definitly hear mine when it is engaged...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl