400HP...or less???

STROKIN96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok well I plan on doing the 160cc DIY injector kit....my question is will my stock turbo( has 137K) on it be able to push the amount of air I need...???
Should I rebuild it or just get a bigger one???
I would like to have 400Hp, will I be able to get there with those size injector and a custom burn chip(Wildman)....I know that my trans will not hold for very long, but I will build another one when this one craps out....
I want bigger injector b/c I plan on getting a car to rally race(SCCA or something like it) and I have a trailer big enough, I just want a lil more power out of the truck...
....beside how reliable is 400hp???? Should I aim for something lower so that it will be more reliable and drivable???? This truck is my DD, and I would still like to be able to get +19 mpg I do right now with a bad trans:rolleyes: ...
it used to be like 22mpg if I didnt pin it all the time, but there is just something about smoking out an intersection that is just awesome:D
Thanks for any input.....

Carl

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
Carl, I'm gonna defer to Luke Cline and Tubzz about details of where your Towing and reliablity will be @ 400 horses. the 160's can't put you @ 400, I'm around 300-320 max with the Bean's stage one's and Tonys burns and have a towing monster over stock.... ...but I do have to tow by the pyro.....the intercooler and stage 2's go in, in a couple of weeks and I should be close to 400, so I'm sure I'll still be towing by the pyro again...(but with a bigger grin on my face:D :D ). Then I know I'm gonna have to do a fuel system. Are you aware that the stock hpop will not keep up with even stage ones? A sd pump (17°) is needed for the ones and Luke made big power (421) with two's and the sd pump.

From what you want to do, Intercooler no doubt, 300 hp and up. ...Tranny.....no doubt......

Yes the stock turbo can and will get you to 400....Luke did and I think terry also....but they will probably confirm it was on the ragged edge.....

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Youll need bigger injectors than the 160's to get 400 hp. Your stock turbo might get you there but wont last long there. Stage II 1/2's will get you 400 but youll need to be inter-cooled and a seriously beefed transmission. Youll also be in need of a HPO system that can pump enough oil to fill the holes and while your at it you might as well get fuel too. :D

You might be very pleased with Stage I injectors, they are a helluva kick over stock especially with a properly burned chip. Stage II's wont take any more oil than Stage I's either, but neither will get you 400 hp. Youll get close though. Youll be in the 300-350 range for sure. Remember....stock youre lucky to be 175 at the wheels. 300+ feels like you have the world.

Theres a couple of guys here that are running II's and II 1/2's. They should chime in.

STROKIN96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Jim-

Will I need the SD pump even if my injectors still stay AA's??
I didnt think I would need it that is why I wanted to stay with AA's....I never even thought about an IC....

95-

Stage I's...well 300hp would be better than the 175.....maybe I'll just shot lower....:D 300hp would be great...I just want t lil more power out of the truck, I dont want a drap strip machine....I just want a lil more kick and I know that I need to...better yet SHOULD do injector seals....if not replace them for piece of mind....DId you notice any diffence with the FPR shimmed???

Thanks guys

Carl

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Carl,

If you go with Stage II's I think you would be wearing a grin that it would take a team of 7 surgeons several weeks to remove. Youll be well well into the 350 hp range. Yes, on my truck shimming the FPR was a noticlabe difference.

And as said, hopefully Luke, Terry (tubzz) and Rich (94f250) will chime in. They all have done pretty extensive injector/fuel system work.

Mike

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest/ best advice is to add an ic if you add injectors period. It makes the injectors soooo much more useable. With stock turbo (33-35 psi boost max), 6oh cooler, BDP 2's and fresh sd hpop i made over 400hp and had absolutly no problems with egt's while towing heavy. I had my truck retuned when i added h2 turbo and my TOW burn dynoed 411 smoke free hp, i towed heavy and never had a lick of problems. Custom extreme burn was only 420 hp, but it fueled alot harder down low so it was much faster at the track. I ended up putting 25k miles on the stage 2's within 6 months or something like that, only problems were regular maintence type. IMO stage 2's are the max for a reliable dd/ tow truck.

Stage 1's were a blast and made a huge difference, but being a speed junkie they werent enough. So came the 2's and wow it was like going from stock to stage 1's all over again.

Oh BTW 2's are the same 160cc as stage 1's, the just have bigger nozzles.

Luke

STROKIN96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So right now with stock injection would a SD pump make a difference???
and when I do the injectors will the truck run on my stock pump or will I HAVE to get an SD??
Should i rebuild the turbo, or wait till it makes noise or that the end play is excessive....I replaced the comp wheel about a year ago b/c of the crappy stock airbox....but even then the end play didnt seem much...

Carl

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sd pump probably wouldnt make a difference with stock injectors unless your stock hpop was very weak. If you get injectors and your hpop is weak then you will set cel's due to hpo dropping too low, which brings the sd hpop into the pic. If your turbo doesnt have excessive play then i wouldnt rebuild it.

Luke

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with luke,is to get a IC with any after markit injectors.
the wife has stage1's and no ic and we could pull anything with it.but would have to watch the egt's.we do have a 6.0 IC for it.just waiting on a funkie color pipe kit.
stage1's with stock oil. we can at will set off the light because the stock oil won't keep up.she has a stealth pump to put in for that.just waiting for her fuel system to get here.but do your injectors and see if yours works with the injectors some pumps work good and some don't.but a SD pump can't hurt you any and will run stage2's,
the turbo should be ok as long as you don't run up 35lbs of boost all the time.but then again can't realy say how long it would last,the wife has a few mounth on her's with stage1's and it ok so far,but i am going to take the 1.0 housing off and put the stock 1.15 back on to help save it just a little longer.
stock fuel works with stage1's fine we haven't had a problem their.so i would worry about that for now.

the wifes truck is in the 300 to 320 hp range i geuss.with stock fuel,hpop and turbo.
to get 400 hp you would need stage2's,IC,tuning on the chip and a SD hpop.
400hp makes for good towing, we tow our 35ft TT in my low setting.i stay at 70mph and i only got to 1300* a few times going down to bdp in my truck.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14