40's on a 250...how much lift is needed?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you do regear, then the driving computer, speedometer and odometer would read correctly, right?
yes once you have the tire ration and gear programed into the computer. Do you have a SCT tuner? If not the dealer can do it.

BTW, Dogman, would you regear for 37 or 38" as well?
Yes I would.

When I say tire ration you need to know how many time your tire (say 35" tall tire) will go around in one mile. (I think that a 35" tall tire will go around 605+/- time in one mile.) I'll have to check the math.

Last edited:

alljackedup02

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yea, i already dropped money into building the *&$! my tranny so id rather not blow that up and is it around 1000 for front and back gears or just one set. and how quickly would the oversized tire kill the tranny... i would love to regear it when i put the tires on but i dont have the money to do it at the moment and i need to put these on asap my tires are lookin like slicks and ive already got all the lift stuff sitting around, just didnt know how much higher it needed to go to clear the tires i have

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't go half way with tires this big. You NEED the gears or you will kill your tranny and kill it soon. Better break out the bicycle till you can get the gears done.

Dave

Nightmare

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2005 F350 on 40's.

ae37b0d4-23a8-f8ab.jpg

It has 3.73 gears but the shift points have been modified. No issues at all - very smooth shifts.

Also has cut fenders with bushwhacker guards.

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I would.

When I say tire ration you need to know how many time your tire (say 35" tall tire) will go around in one mile. (I think that a 35" tall tire will go around 605+/- time in one mile.) I'll have to check the math.

Well, I was thinking... I'm not very familiar with the insides of our axles, but if you do have to regear, wouldn't that be a good opportunity to install diff lockers? I mean theres no point in regearing and soon after throw parts away because you also want lockers, right? Or do you use the existing gears when installing lockers?

BTW which lockers would you recommend? I'm thinking ARB air lockers because I'm a control freak, and I once had those on another vehicle and they worked perfectly...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well, I was thinking... I'm not very familiar with the insides of our axles, but if you do have to regear, wouldn't that be a good opportunity to install diff lockers? I mean theres no point in regearing and soon after throw parts away because you also want lockers, right? Or do you use the existing gears when installing lockers?

BTW which lockers would you recommend? I'm thinking ARB air lockers because I'm a control freak, and I once had those on another vehicle and they worked perfectly...

I'd do ARB's! Detroits are great if you do offroad all the time. But you cant turn them off like the ARB's. Engage it when you need to and yer set. One of the many things to do to my truck! :D

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do ARB's! Detroits are great if you do offroad all the time. But you cant turn them off like the ARB's. Engage it when you need to and yer set. One of the many things to do to my truck! :D

Yeah, but if you need to regear for bigger tires, would it also be best to install the lockers? How does it work, do you swap the ring and pinion for the ARB locker or something? :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58