4R100 main failure points?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
With the 7.3L's 4R100 transmission what is the main failure those of you had fail?

The 2-3 gear shift seems very very sloshy and extended at least with our truck depending on acceleration pressure which seems to be the failure point but wanted to hear from others.

We do have a new trans in the plan.

On edit Sonnax and Tricumulator was installed a couple years ago which helped 1-2 and 3-4 shifts which both still remain firm.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Things that have taken care of that on my truck were the sonics tricumulator valve and custom tuning.

I saw equal benifit from both mods.

Tbar

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been through 4 different transmissions in mine and each time I've had different problems

1st- 2nd gear clutches toasted right out of it (stock tranny 160K miles) I can't complain about that!

2nd- 2nd and 3rd gear clutches toasted (lasted 7K miles)

3rd- Overheated real bad (250*+) burnt up just about everything including most of the electronics, planetary gears, clutches, tweaked the case, and blew the converter apart inside (lasted 10K miles)

4th- Completely new- different case with all new internals including electronics, and a better torque converter than the previous (35K miles and still going strong)

I'm just glad that my tranny guy has no problems doing warranty work!

Last edited:

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
Isn't there a diode WIKI out there somewhere? I thought saw one a few years back....

E

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Torque Converter. If the TC was able to show signs of going out would it say vibrate/groan and not necessarily toss marbles around in it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58